• mommykink@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

The specifics don’t matter for me, I use adblockers anyway so I was never “eligible.”

Slipping such a major feature in as an opt-out setting is where the outrage should come from.

• mommykink@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Perhaps, but no small amount of that misinformation has come from Mozilla themselves.

(At least from the Reddit thread) They’re trying to frame this as “this is just an experiment to prove that aggregated advertising can work so we can arguments during policy drafting later on!” I don’t believe that’s their intention for a second.

This feels like Mozilla trying to monetize a previously un-monitizable audience while using their position in the community as an “in.” First they buy their own ad company, then they install these features to make it seem safe to turn off ad blockers, all while attempting to guilt critics with statements like “it’s the only way we can really make a change!” Or “if we don’t do this, FF may go away forever.”

The whole thing just feels slimey to me, especially after reading how theyve tried to explain away the whole controversy in the reddit post

• ArbiterXero@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

I mean I buy most of those statements….

Today they’re only alive because they’re taking Google’s dirty money, what happens if that dries up?

And while it’s not ideal, it’s better than most alternatives, and they really need privacy protecting legislation.