• Mango@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I don’t get the point of any of this. Someone has a problem with there being competition with sex choices or something? Is it supposed to be wrong that some girls are dressing up and looking nice while others don’t wanna do that?

• jeffw@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

There’s a problem with saying “I’m subverting the male gaze” while playing into stereotypes

• CosmicGiraffe@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              2 months ago

The male gaze is the idea that we judge things from the perspective of a (heterosexual) man. In particular, it often refers to what society considers to be beautiful. Society often equates being sexually attractive with beauty, and often values people who are considered beautiful more highly.

The article is critizing the video for claiming to subvert this trope in the second half, while still placing emphasis on Katy Perry’s sexual attractiveness.

• kitnaht@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Wasn’t this the same Jezebel that said we needed to welcome pedos with open arms?

• jeffw@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Googled it and closest I got was a 10 year old article about a pedophile and his treatment. Got a source?

• jeffw@lemmy.worldOPM
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Didn’t read the whole thing but it sounded like the dude never acted on their instincts? So it’s just you bitching that someone admitted to their mental health struggles?