I’m taking apart a broken tape recorder produced in the 70s (a Tesla B57, made in Czechoslovakia), to harvest some parts (inductors, switches, …) and maybe reuse the case for some project.

Which made me wonder: are there any dangers to protect myself against? I know about lead, so I’ll take precautions when desoldering things. Is there anything else to be aware of? Some fumes, other toxic materials, …?

I’m not planning to connect the device to power in any way, so from an electrical perspective there should be nothing to worry about (except for caps maybe). Am I wrong?

• leftascenter
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Any bubbled up and leaking condenser may be acidic, don’t touch it.

Soldering fumes are bad.

That’s all I can think of.

• Swiggles@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Some old electronics use asbestos in heating elements or for shielding. Be careful when dealing with old hair dryers, coffee makers, stoves etc.

I don’t see how there could be any in your tape recorder though. It’s just what came to my mind when I read the title.

• Saigonauticon@voltage.vn
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Mostly I just work in a well ventilated area. Oh and for sure disconnect power before desoldering anything.

Other than that, I avoid taking apart microwaves (beryllium, high voltage), anything with a CRT (imploding glass, high voltage), and high voltage transformers (transformer oil, high voltage). Also any medical equipment (chemical hazard, radiation hazards, biohazard, high voltage, imploding glass). Oh and no unexploded munitions for reasons that should be obvious (people still salvage these in my country and it sometimes doesn’t end well).

I find a hot air rework station+tweezers a much faster way to salvage than jamming a hot iron into boards. Also lets you salvage SMT components, which are most of the better parts these days. For 1970s stuff, it’s mostly through-hole, I’d test the parts before trying to reuse them. Capacitors especially. Got to love those big transistors from our side of the Iron Curtain though.

• MegaGoat
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

There is the old thermal paste made of Beryllium oxide. Best not to eat it.

• nilclassOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Best not to eat it.

dang… what else to do with the leftovers then?

• Saigonauticon@voltage.vn
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Grind it into dust, add sand, pour molten non-recyclable plastic into it (e.g. recyclable plastic with too many impurities). Market it as a weighted ballast material e.g. for the base of IKEA lamps.

• Susan_B_Good
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Wear trainers not sling backs. Molten solder and your tootsie don’t go well together.
    I turn the printed circuit board component side down and wave a hot air gun over the flip side, whilst tapping the board against the edge of work bench. The result is usually a cascade of components (and blobs of molten solder).

Very therapeutic. When I’m stuck trying to work out how to do something, when everything I have tried has failed miserably, I deconstruct something electronic. No, I keep well away from psychiatrists.

You (I anticipate) won’t be doing this 9 hours a day, 7 days a week - most of the nasties are long term exposure ones, so a one-off should be fine. If anything ever irritates your eyes or throat, get out of there and ventilate the place.