• Allonzee@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I would be shocked if this was from an official Disney theme park.

They are cult like with their costumes and performers. No way they’d let you smoke in costume, let alone in a place where pictures could be taken.

This is probably a performer from a touristy street somewhere in the world with the obligatory knock off disney characters busking pictures for tips.

There’s always a Mickey and Minnie on Fremont street here in Vegas, for example, right next to the topless nuns with nipple pasties.

• samus12345@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Good call. I looked up the official version of this Minnie costume and they all looked this this one:

Right away you can see differences: no lipstick, her arms are black, the bow color is wrong, no buttons, the white spots on the arms of the dress are wrong…definitely a knock-off.

EDIT: You were right on the money, it’s from Vegas.

• Allonzee@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Lucky guess, I’m not sure why other commenters in this post are going “of course its vegas.”

I’ve been to Times Square, they have the knock offs. I’ve been to the real Eiffel Tower, they have the knock offs. I forget where in London, but they were there too.

Anywhere on Earth tourist trappy enough to be in any proximity to an M&M store, and you’ll likely find mutant Disney characters in costumes of wildly varying quality appealing to your kids for a $20 picture.

• samus12345@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

I’ve been to all three places you mentioned as well and never saw any costumed characters. I sure did when I went to Vegas, though. Maybe they’re even more ubiquitous in Vegas than in other touristy places, or maybe it’s because I was in Vegas in 2016 while New York was 2002 and Paris and London were in the late 80s.

• Jojo, Lady of the West@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Lol I love how this article censors the picture of the guy smoking because “think of the children” and"we must preserve the magic* or whatever, but leaves Minnie’s severed head just sitting on the ground.

• makuus@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Not only that, but, I feel like dude there is over the 4’8”-5’2” height requirement for Minnie. Like, that’s hard to prove from a photo like this one. But, given his proportions in relation to the railing and other features in that photo, my first impression would not be to think him short enough.

• CaptDust@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

This ain’t a real Minnie. Not enough dots on the shoulders and disney actors wear black arm sleeves.

Edit- the bow isn’t color coordinated either. Lazy, fake ass Minnie.

• Thorry84@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Yeah that dude was fired the moment that picture hit the internet. The mouse doesn’t fuck around.

• RightHandOfIkaros@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Not all costume actors, just the ones in costumes that completely hide their face (like the one pictured). Some costume actors, like Snow White, Cruella DeVille, etc are still female.