If you swim in a pool that’s correctly chlorinated, is it necessary from your perspective to shower after you get out of the pool?

• rustyfish@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Yes. To get the chlorine or salt off my skin.

Never swam in a freshwater lake. But I think I probably still would.

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Never swam in a freshwater lake. But I think I probably still would.

This is one of those little statements that just reminds you how big the world is. I’ve pretty much only gone to beaches on freshwater lakes, apart from a few vacations to far away places. The idea that it would be inverted for someone else is really jarring to my brain.

• Drusas@kbin.run
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Meanwhile, as someone who grew up by a coast, I was shocked when I first heard somebody refer to a lake as a “beach”. If you live somewhere that has both, lake beaches are not called beaches. They’re just lakes or lakeshores.

• Land_Strider@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Freshwater lakes are quite nice to swim in and get out without showering. Skin can feel a little more coarse than when you get out of a bot bath, but still not uncomfortable enough by itself to warrant a shower. But if you have medium to long hair, you’d definitely want hot water and maybe soap/shampoo to untangle and unbunch it to feel comfortable.

• hitmyspot@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Yes, no chlorine or saltwater but still residue there. However, if I was camping, I’d use sea or lakes to wash. If its a pleasure swim with facilities available, I’d always shower, or at least rinse off.

With chlorine I’ll tend to wash my hair twice as its quite damaging and when home I’ll use a cleansing shampoo (they help remove chlorine).