After their shameless Synology shilling a couple of weeks ago, today Techlore is trying to sell me Proton Pass.

Is Proton Pass a bad password manager? I don’t know. It seems okay, but I have no opinion.

What I do know is that Techlore is affiliated with Proton, which makes their newest 10-minute video - in which they reveal the affiliation only at the last minute - 10 minutes of my life I’ll never get back.

Unfortunately, In the business they’re in, the merest hint of a bias kind of invalidates any advice they give. As the saying goes, when you point out other people’s body odor, you’d better make sure you took a shower yourself.

Unsubscribe…

• sunzu@kbin.run
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

last i heard is that they did some weird shit on reddit community and locked out original community

I am talking out of my ass tho

• paradox2011@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Yeah there was drama between the current team and the original founder of Privacytools.io

Long story short, they disagreed on how to manage the site and had differences regarding ownership of contributed content, so the bulk of the team started up their own site in an effort to separate from the founder. Probably good given the monetization efforts the founder was starting to incorporate in the site (and is currently doing last i checked).

It does seem wrong to me that they archived the privacytools.io reddit though, I can only take that as them wnting to drive traffic to their new site and subreddit. They should have let their work stand on its own merits.