After their shameless Synology shilling a couple of weeks ago, today Techlore is trying to sell me Proton Pass.

Is Proton Pass a bad password manager? I don’t know. It seems okay, but I have no opinion.

What I do know is that Techlore is affiliated with Proton, which makes their newest 10-minute video - in which they reveal the affiliation only at the last minute - 10 minutes of my life I’ll never get back.

Unfortunately, In the business they’re in, the merest hint of a bias kind of invalidates any advice they give. As the saying goes, when you point out other people’s body odor, you’d better make sure you took a shower yourself.

Unsubscribe…

• jet@hackertalks.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I just checked their website, they don’t actually recommend Synology in the website in any of the guides I could find.

So I think it’s reasonable for a person to have personal opinions they state, but in their official work not expose those opinions.

And the criticism is fair, everyone should be open to feedback, but I don’t see a smoking gun here that discredits the work they’ve done so far

• paradox2011@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Certainly not, as a resource they are invaluable. Just a few trends that I personally take in to account when it comes to their leadership. Kind of like recognizing a news outlet has a slight political leaning.