• 𝕽𝖚𝖆𝖎𝖉𝖍𝖗𝖎𝖌𝖍@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Hell, the Soviets have dropped, what, 15?, landers into the atmosphere since the late 60’s. From what we know about the incredible survivability of micro organisms, I’d be unsurprised to find that what we’re seeing is our own bugs, seeded by our own landing craft, having found a niche floating around in the upper clouds where the environment is cozy.

• meleecrits@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

You bring up a good point. There’s strong arguments to be made that Venus has been “contaminated” by the Soviet probes. That’s why NASA is being so careful with the Europa Clipper.

If there is life in the clouds of Venus, it will be hard to verify if it’s natural, or from Earth.

• frigidaphelion@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

My understanding is that Venus/Mars are close enough to Earth that, even without factoring human intervention, we still likely wouldnt be able to rule out cross contamination between the inner planets

• Zron@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Venus is close to earth in that it has a dense atmosphere and is about the same size. Somewhere in the atmosphere is probably a layer that has enough oxygen, pressure, and is shielded from enough radiation for life to survive.

Mars is very different from either of earth or Venus.

It has 1% of the atmosphere as earth, what atmosphere it does have has nearly all CO2, and it only has 1/3rd the gravity. Its surface is constantly blasted by enough solar radiation to effectively sterilize anything on the surface, and the ground is full of toxic salts. I would much rather be in a cloud on Venus than anywhere on the surface of mars.

• VelvetStorm@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

At first, I thought you said soviet as in sovereign citizens, and I thought either you or I were living in some weird alternate timeline.

• DavidGarcia@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

imagine spending your whole life on education just to spend the rest of it on detecting farts

• Pennomi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

If the thought of that causes you anxiety, you should probably seek therapy anyway. No need to let impending doom ruin what’s left of our lives!

• Perhyte@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

These signs were detected higher in the atmosphere, where the temperature and pressure are more reasonable. And since it took until now to detect the presence of the ammonia, it’s probably not a large component of the atmosphere.

So not boiling hot and probably not that much ammonia. That still leaves the thick clouds of sulfuric acid though, those are still very much a thing any probe or mission to Venus would have to be able to deal with.