I don have a large budget so it will take me a while todo much. I don’t have my soldering iron back yet either.

What should be my order of action here? Should I start with battery or backlight? I also have pokemon blue on the way.

• Vent@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

$80??? 🫠

I’m not in the retrogaming scene, is that normal for a GBC?

• BitterSweetOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

About average, I mainly wanted to purchase from a local shop though to support business. It’s a common date night spot for my gf an I bc they have a small collection of cabinets and pinball machines to play at the shop too.

• hamburglar26@wilbo.tech
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

We are long past the days of getting them for near nothing so at least supporting a local shop is good. Still crazy these go for so much now, but still cheaper than when they were new!

• Ghoti_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

$80 is definitely a high price. If you buy a GBC from eBay or Craigslists etc on any given day I’d expect to pay around $80.

However, if you’re monitoring market places like Facebook or Reddit, you’ll come across them for like $30-40 by people who just want to get rid of them. It might take a few days of waiting to come across one but it happens regularly you just have to be quick and have multiple payment options ready.

I’ve bought a few GB-GBAs recently and I’ve never paid more than $45 for one. I probably average $30 or $35 because I buy multiples.

• Muddobbers@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I got one cheaper on eBay, but it was broken “for parts” that I knew how to fix it cheaply, so really just how much you really, really want one

• GreenMario@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Grab a Flash Cart so you don’t have to pay outrageous used game prices, and find some kind of high capacity battery mod because I use a flash cart on my GBA and it drains quick even with replacement battery.

• BitterSweetOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Omfg thank you! I was hesitant to buy anymore games bc of the price, any brand in particular I should go for?

edit: how tf do I figure out what cart to get

• Pumpkinbot@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Hell yeah! The cheapest thing you could do while waiting for parts, I think, is clean it up, like removing and de-gunking that sticker.

• BitterSweetOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Alright, just a cotton swab with alcohol should be plenty

• Pumpkinbot@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Oh, and definitely make sure the battery contacts aren’t corroded/had leaky batteries, though if you’re gonna swap it for a rechargeable one, it may not matter?

• BitterSweetOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Battery upgrade is definitely on the table probably a usb-c. it was verified working though from the shop. Unsure where to get the kits though and what a reasonable price is for a kit.

• protput@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Sorry, but I fail to understand why you would not just buy a RG35xx of something similar? The purple transparent RG35xx looks so much like this GBC. But with a much better display, battery, you can play everything from NES to PSX on it, etc… Not to mention that is much cheaper! I like retro gaming, but I guess I’m not a purist like some. I prefer to play my retro games with the luxury of savestates and a better display.