• Wrench@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

The fuck? I’m an elder millennial, and I was PvPing my entire life. First over serial cables, Doom 2, Dune 2, Warcraft 1/2, C&C/Red Alert, Heretic/Hexen off the top of my head.

Then internet gaming came along in middle school. Ultima Online, Starcraft, Warcraft 3, CS (HL2 mod), etc.

And that’s just PC. Shit ton of local pvp on consoles from the start. Spy vs Spy on NES is the first console heads up pvp that I can remember.

I just don’t play much PvP now because I’m old and don’t have the energy or free time.

• Dasus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Spy vs Spy on NES is the first console heads up pvp that I can remember.

And the glory days of console PVP was still ahead.

4 player deathmatches on Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Wave Race.

Ah, it was glorious , 4 kids sat in front of a 26 inch CRT, the screen split 4-ways. And looking at someone else’s bit of the screen is cheating.

Then HL1 mods, CS, dod, team fortress. Fire up the ol’ All-Seeing Eye and Roger Wilco and jump to the server for some clan practice before the enemy team joins for the Clanbase official match.

Although I went to Tactical Ops when Steam came, like CS but on Unreal Engine. More action, less sneaking and shooting while crouching still.

Actually enjoyable computer opponents are far newer than enjoyable PVP, imo.

• AngryCommieKender@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I do, who remembers Descent? That was the first multiplayer online game I played. Turned out I was pretty good, even though I couldn’t beat the game. No one could beat the game without cheats. They made the end boss impossible to defeat.