• lars@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Omg a bunch of people were named by Boomers and then had their genitals mutilated! Pour one out for circumcised American Millennials.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I’d say that most circumcised people, even the ones who really angry about it, don’t change their names over it.

• prole@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Yeah, I used to be one of those “meh who cares” about being circumcised, but as I’ve gotten older and thought more about the practice, it disgusts me. I have zero plans of having children, but if I ever had a son, the idea of almost immediately cutting off a piece of his fucking penis because their psychotic god has a fetish for children’s foreskins, is nauseating, horrific, and barbaric.

Like what the fuck people?

Was listening to NPR the other day where they were talking about some female genital mutilation in some African nation. It’s so goddamn horrifying, and the statistics they gave for how many women in that country had received FGM were deeply depressing.

I know that male circumcision isn’t at the level of barbarism that most ritual FGM seems to be, but it did make me think about the double standard.

Every day, in the US at least, x thousands of newborns/infants are having their genitals mutilated without second thought.

That’s… really fucked up.