I’m doing a quick review of the Addons that I am using on my Windows PC. I’ve had a look at some of the previous posts to try to get an idea of where things are at

Currently I have the following Container related Addons but I think things have moved on a bit since I looked at this.

This means that opening Facebook and Google automatically goes into relevant containers and using Switch I can create separate containers for Work, Banking etc.

I noticed that I’m not using Mozzilla’s Multi-Account Containers

Ideally I’d like to be able to:

• Have Facebook and Google Open in their own containers
  • Potentially open separate containers for different Google Accounts
  • Allocate other domains to open by default in a specific container (e.g a list of Bank websites into a specific container) but be able to override that
  • Have links from Thunderbird open in relevant containers

What are people using in terms of Container addons?

• dracs@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I’m just using Mozilla’s Multi-Account Containers extension. In my work’s infinite wisdom I have a total of five “single sign on” accounts. So I have different containers for each account so I avoid the endless “which account would you like to use” and “this account doesn’t have access to this resource”.

The extension allows me to set specific domains to always open in container X. That covers 90℅ of my use cases. Some sites I need to use different accounts with and for that I have to select which one to use each time.

• abeorch@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Ok that sounds like a vote for Adding Multi-Account Containers - to allow me to configure specific domains to a Particlular container -I like that.

• chaospatterns@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

You can sign into multiple accounts into the same website in different tabs. I use this to be able to sign into many different AWS accounts for work where AWS doesn’t natively support this.

• MangoPenguin@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I’m curious too, they’re great for managing multiple accounts on services that don’t natively support multiple. But as far as I know from a privacy perspective I’m not sure they have any advantage anymore.

• TechnoCat moved to lemm.ee@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I didn’t even know there were addons besides the multi container built in. I have containers for multiple Google accounts, work, Facebook, and Microsoft. Certain domains auto open in certain containers.

• abeorch@lemmy.mlOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I noticed that I wasn’t actually using Switch Container so I’ve deactivated that for a while.

• abeorch@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I’ve noticed that increasingly there is a requirement to accept cookies for service - Now I know that this is potentialy not legal in the EU - its happening. So at least if you are limiting interaction of third party cookies across different containers and using different identies - there is some advange - and it allow you to maintain different personas as such. They are all only seeing a slice of your activity - Thoughts?

• abeorch@lemmy.mlOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Am I going to come out of this adding Amazon Containers? I guess there is an avantage of being able to use provided domain lists for the big players but it would seem that it would be better if this was a single Add-One - and part of Multi-Acccount Containers.

I’m not sure what the resource impact of adding additional Addons is