The cost of simply retrieving an answer from the Web is infinitely smaller than the cost of generating a new one.

Great interview with Sasha Luccioni from Huggingface on all the ways that using generative AI for everything is both a) hugely costly compared to existing methods, and b) insane.

• froztbyte@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

misiu kolorowy

huh, first time I run across this (although admittedly my polish is dangerously-seat-of-pants)

• flere-imsaho@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

long, boring explanation follows

spoiler

there’s an informal mode of address that conveys the (one-sided, frequently) sense of familiarity, which goes [2nd person singular] [noun in vocative case] [adjective referring to the noun], like panie szanowny (lit. esteemed sir, but the inversion from the adj + noun to noun + adj signals different mode; so “szanowny panie” is formal, “panie szanowny” is shortening distance or expressing annoyance); it can be used, and frequently is, as a phrase that’s a personal affectation (e.g. “królu złoty!”, literally “golden majesty”). the affectation is usually rather annoying.

on the other hand “misiu” (vocative case of diminutive word for “bear” or “bear cub” or “teddy bear”) is a common word of endearment.

so “misiu kolorowy” is a bit of a wordplay on both, and should generally convey serious lack of respect and clear annoyance. (i’m guilty of using this from time to time since the times of polish usenet.)

there’s an added bonus in that there was a popular child series “miś colargol”, the pronunciation of “colargol” and “kolorowy” are pleasantly alliterative. (now this really shows my age….)

• V0ldek@awful.systems
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

It’s when you want to say “kurwo jebana” but in a more polite, sophisticated way.

Think “bless your heart”.

• froztbyte@awful.systems
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

yeah I got that from the explanation flere gave :)

Think “bless your heart”.

most polish (as in character/style) translation I’ve seen today