Jeremy Clarkson: Just been for a walk round the farm and I’m a bit alarmed by how few butterflies there are.

Something is afoot.

Danny Wallace: Diesel-smelling Top Gear host who threatened climate protestors misses butterflies.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I used to see so many monarch butterflies when I was a kid in Indiana. So many fireflies too. I don’t think I’ve seen a single monarch since I moved back about a decade ago and hardly any fireflies.

• Cort@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Plant some milkweed in your garden and they’ll come. It’s literally a weed, so minimal care is required.

• IMongoose@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Don’t rake your leaves up in the fall and don’t mow in the spring until you are afraid of being fined. Plant a native garden. I have 3 species of fireflies in my little yard, and there are a lot of them.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

We actually do all of that already. We even had a local person from the DNR come in and help us with choosing native plants and getting rid of invasive ones. Very few fireflies. There used to be so many when I was a kid, you could just walk around catching them in your hands in the evening.