I have not used an IDE since I ditched Turbo Pascal in middle school, but now I am at a place where everyone and their mother uses VS Code and so I’m giving it a shot.

The thing is, I’m finding the “just works” mantra is not true at all. Nothing is working out of the box. And then for each separate extension I have to figure out how to fix it. Or I just give up and circumvent it by using the terminal.

What’s even the point then?

IDK maybe its a matter of getting used to something new, but I was doing fine with just vim and tmux.

• AnAmericanPotato@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

everyone and their mother uses VS Code

This is usually a good reason to avoid something. Especially if that something comes from Microsoft.

• AnAmericanPotato@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Monocultures are bad. Popularity very rarely tracks quality. And once something is overwhelmingly popular, it usually goes to shit, because the momentum is enough to keep it successful.

See: Windows. Outlook. Reddit. CrowdStrike.

• Auzy@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

But vscode hasn’t gone to shit…

Lots of things have also gotten popular without going to shit either.

• Auzy@beehaw.org
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

Err… Those are bad examples.

Skype was bad before microsoft lol. If anything, Microsoft actually made it more usable… Skype was NEVER good lol

And very few people in the real world have an issue with Github. The evidence is that you’ll notice projects aren’t moving away from it, and Github is growing fast. I found there’s a small number of people making 99.99% of the noise (like the first main “enshiffication” post on Lemmy, which was mainly pointing towards comments made by a developer without many commits and as a open source project, they weren’t even paying for github). If you want a good example, Sourceforge would be a better one (although, it’s possible even they cleaned up their act)

Nobody would call VS Code bloated or anything. There are some things I don’t like, but i have tried so many IDE’s in the past 20 years, and can honestly say that VS Code survived because its hugely easier, and it’s actually a high quality product. Anyone who has tried stuff like Atom or Eclipse will attest to that (Eclipse was great at the time, but was painfully slow)

I did see a post about a rust one upcoming that did seem interesting, but its really just a slightly faster version of VS Code (and VS Code itself is no slouch).