• gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Great news.

I think the speed with which these donations are coming in - in addition to the fact that the vast majority of the amounts are small, individual donations - only serves to underscore that Biden dropping out of the race was absolutely the right call. People are going to be FAR more enthused about the election now, I think. If nothing else, she’s going to make women’s body autonomy a central issue, if for no other reason than because she’s a woman and very much gives a shit about that topic - a stance I expect will get her hopefully overwhelming support from most women in the country.

• Pronell@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

As many times as Biden said he was committed to a woman’s private right to choose, it will come across more convincingly coming from a woman.

On top of that, she is a professional who chose to not have children of her own, but married a man with children from a prior relationship.

That’s the non-tradional family many of us have today. Exactly the kind of family the right wing is pushing against.

• gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

The thing that always frustrated me about Biden’s position on abortion was that his “official” and “personal” positions are directly contradictory, which makes me (and I’m sure many others) question the seriousness with which he addresses the issue.

Like, the SC overturned Roe, and he just sort of sat back and took it. No “fuck you, women have bodily autonomy, I’ll do an executive order for that until Congress gets their shit together” - he (and most of the DNC establishment) just continue to use it as a political foil to motivate voters without actually solving the issue because solving the issue would make people feel less distressed and perhaps less motivated to vote (in their calculus, at least, which I kinda don’t agree with).

I think Harris being staunchly and unapologetically pro-choice and, you know, a woman is going to make her stance hit WAY harder than Biden’s.

• kandoh@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

All those twitter users previously melting down over everyone not lockstep supporting a 2nd Biden term look really stupid right now.

This is an example I will point to the rest of my life as to why the democratic party is better than the GOP