It’s not economic anxiety, it’s people who’ve always been cruel finding a guy that makes fun of all the people they hate and worshipping him for it.

I feel like that ‘economic anxiety’ shit is given to them too much of an excuse. Sure, it may agitate things, but these are by and large people who were already innately hostile to anyone different.

It’s sad, but that’s what it is.

• allthetimesivedied [they/them, she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Yeah, I’m very skeptical of the theory that people who are cruel to the homeless act like that because they “know they’re a paycheck or two away” from being down here with me.

There are two reasons.

1. That just sounds like one of those ignorant disingenuous things people say about people they don’t like, i.e. “Feminists support abortion because they’re jealous of stay at home moms” or whatever, and not a genuine analysis.
    2. These people are masters and mistresses of cognitive dissonance. They do not care about anything you or I have to say. They are cruel because they know they can get away with it.
    • lars@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Similarly (?) I grew up in a time when there were plenty of homophobic guys who weren’t gay at all. (Some of them were).