It’s not economic anxiety, it’s people who’ve always been cruel finding a guy that makes fun of all the people they hate and worshipping him for it.

I feel like that ‘economic anxiety’ shit is given to them too much of an excuse. Sure, it may agitate things, but these are by and large people who were already innately hostile to anyone different.

It’s sad, but that’s what it is.

• CarbonScored [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

People are not innately hostile or racist, their attitudes are products of their life circumstances. Not because of their genes or because they just decided being a racist would be fun or whatever.

Doesn’t mean they’re not assholes now, of course they are. But it also means you shouldn’t write them off as if their souls are cursed and unsaveable or are just genetically sadistic. They, like we, are just apes doing what they learned to do.

• FearsomeJoeandmac [he/him, he/him]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Hierarchy and bigotry has been going on since before capitalism was even a thing. The Anglo saxons called the celts “wealas” or “foreigner” and treated them far worse than other germanic people in old Britain. (Where the name “Wales” comes from, the welsh today preferred to be called cymru or “fellow countrymen”)

Sometimes people are just inherently hostile to those different from them.

I don’t think it’s in the genes, but it’s also not solely because of ‘economic anxiety’.

A lot of red browns like to make your argument so I’m wary of it and it always feels like it’s not realized how disgusting these people can truly be towards their other humans. There was a video the other day of some fascists in Tennessee sitting there watching black kids walk to school and calling them “removed” and all kind of shit. Fuckin gross dude.

Edit:https://x.com/WUTangKids/status/1815132233969332395

If only we could appeal to the better nature of these guys, right?

I think regardless. I’m not too worried about “saving reactionaries souls”. That’s pretty low on my list compared to anti racist and anti fascist activism.

• CarbonScored [any]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

And? Adverse material conditions have been a thing long before capitalism, too.

I’m not going to watch the video, I’m very well aware that racial abuse and fascism is awful.

I’m frankly wary of speech that writes people off as “inherently” bad as basically being eugenicists by another name. If someone doesn’t accept that material conditions are at least the most significant cause of most social behaviours, then I don’t see why they give a shit about collectivism, just accept that capitalism is “innate” human nature and call it a day.

That’s pretty low on my list compared to anti racist and anti fascist activism.

We absolutely agree on this.