• XIIIesq@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I’d like to know what the Lemmings that didn’t endorse Biden stepping down are thinking now.

• Admiral Patrick@dubvee.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I’d like to know what the Lemmings that didn’t endorse Biden stepping down are thinking now.

I was one of them, so I’ll answer your question as honestly as I can. I was against it only because the argument seemed like the next phase of anti-Biden (stealth pro-Trump) propaganda:

Sleepy Joe -> Hunter’s Laptop -> “Genocide Joe” -> Biden’s too old -> Biden had one bad debate and should drop out

While some of the criticism was perfectly valid, the fact that it was being constantly drummed and amplified by the “usual suspects” prevented me from hearing the argument in anything but bad faith and left me to assume the intention was to inject chaos into the democratic side of the election. I still feel the “usual suspects” were operating as described, but broken clocks and all that, you know?

Now that it’s happened (regardless of whether I feel Biden was forced into it) and everyone is actually coalescing around VP Harris, I’m willing to admit I was wrong.

While I wasn’t excited for Biden (nothing against him, he’s done a great job and I’m sure would have continued to do so), I am energized by having someone younger and more energetic who will continue the work started in the current administration. It appears I’m not alone in that and am glad to see support for Harris coming in.

As long as we don’t nitpick, single-issue, and in-fight ourselves to defeat between now and November and actually line up behind the presumed candidate, I’m optimistic Harris is the right choice.

You were right and I was wrong. There. Did you ever expect to hear me say such a thing?

• Moobythegoldensock@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I was skeptical of the party’s ability to muster up a good candidate with Biden dropping out this late. And most of all, I wanted it to be Biden’s decision, not his party abandoning him.

Harris is coming out strong and gives me great confidence, though. So I respect Biden’s decision and am excited to vote for Harris, while I’d have settled to vote for Biden.