• kurcatovium@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Well, currently I use Tumbleweed with just couple of tweaks, but I can’t live without things like Yakuake, fish, yt-dlp and bunch of other console commands that are not present in most dostros’ defaults. How does atomic distribution handle this? I believe flatpak only has gui applications…

// I just diacovered Yakuake is there, but I can’t imagine how does this specific program integrate with system?

• WFH@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

You can layer basically any RPM onto the base system with rpm-ostree, but it’s slow and inefficient, or you can install anything from any distro by spinning a container with Distrobox and exporting the command to your main system.

• Vittelius@feddit.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

The universeal blue family of operating systems also comes with Homebrew, the Linux port of the popular Mac package manager. The idea being that flatpak is for GUI apps and homebrew for the cli

• WFH@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Oh yeah thanks I forgot about brew. TBH the only uBlue machine I’m currently playing with is destined to be my dad’s new computer, so he’s not expected to get anywhere near the command line :D

• luciferofastora@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Pretty sure I installed protontricks from a flatpak too, and that one is a console app. But it depends on some flatpak being available for the app.

Like the other reply said though, you can use other means to install apps in ways that don’t require altering system files.