A Russian kamikaze drone on Wednesday flew into NATO air space and detonated near a Romanian village, Ukrainian news reports said, but official Bucharest said the fact of the strike wasn’t confirmed and that they would check.

Ukrainian social media video recorded in the river port city of Izmail, opposite Plaura, showed an orange flash lighting up the night horizon and a booming blast on the Romanian side of the river. Flames and smoke reaching hundreds of meters into the sky were visible following the explosion. A Russian kamikaze drone strike against Izmail had been in progress at the time.

• Zaktor@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Assuming this is just another mistake (likely), it seems like since Russian arms sometimes end up hitting NATO soil, that the reasonable course of self-defense is to extend their air defenses and shoot down arms that come near their territory. You can’t know that the drone will go off target until it does, so you just have to shoot down anything heading in the general direction, even if it’s likely targeting Ukraine.

• pingveno@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I’m going to say the same thing that I said about the Polish incident. That incident only happened because Russia chose to attack Ukraine in an area directly bordering on another country. Izmail is also right across the border. I’ll wait on more dependable sources for an investigation, and I’m certainly not agitating for an escalation on NATO’s side. At the same time, if Russia’s bombing campaign ultimately results in foreseeable casualties outside of the country, I put the blame on Russia. Ukraine has the right to defend itself.

• thorbot@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

WAR CRIMB PROSECUTOR

I’m sorry comedic disassociation is the only way I can cope with heavy shit like this

• shapesandstuff@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Seems to be a separate incident from the earlier hit near Grindu (ro)/Reni (ua) in the same area. Hopefully “just” crashes from the drones getting knocked out above Ukraine.

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Might also be GPS jamming combined with Russia targeting near the border that threw the drone’s navigation off.

The drone hit outside of a Romanian village near a river which is a weird target, unless maybe Russia is posturing to intimidate NATO. But it’s probably just GPS jamming.

• sandbox@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

an unmanned drone harmlessly crashing into a field isn’t going to kick off world war 3… at least I sure hope not.

• bouh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

While this is not worthy of ww3, defending nato member space is something nato can and should do. Whether the strike is intended or not, nato is legitimate to defend the area to prevent a strike. More than legitimate in fact.

• sandbox@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

I’m sure NATO has already attended to the scene to defend against a small pile of debris scattered in a field.

• sandbox@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

Since we’re providing missiles to Ukraine, a whole bunch of NATO missiles are landing in Crimea, I’m sure. I’d prefer if the war ended, personally, with a fully independent Ukraine.

Sorry for not wanting a massive death toll over something that literally doesn’t matter at all. If Russia intentionally hit some Romanian village with an attack, then a response would be justified. Some random trash accidentally crashing near the border doesn’t matter.

That doesn’t make me a russian troll, it just makes me a relatively sensible person.

• TechNerdWizard42@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

More than half the world is in support of Russia, mostly because they do not support the USA proxy war or NATO. If by “the whole world” you mean NATO, then not even that considering the support isn’t unanimous. The remainder is indifferent, don’t really care one way or the other.

• phdepressed@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

NK will be their Japan, while Africa becomes a mishmash (again), China plays as a USSR type and Greece can be the new Italy.

• CptEnder@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Lmao more like the Alabama National Air Guard against Russia. The Coast Guard could dust their navy at this point.

• Kalkaline @leminal.space
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

I don’t want young men to die, I want the Russians to go home, return Ukrainian sovereign territory, and live peacefully. I don’t want Russians bombing and killing Ukraine or any other nation. I want them to fuck off, and if they won’t fuck off, I want the Ukrainian military to kill them all and protect themselves.

• CableMonster@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

Great, we all want the same thing, why is Ukraine and NATO not working toward a peace agreement? Why did NATO give weapons to Ukraine to propagate a war that they were always going to lose?

• shapesandstuff@feddit.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

Because they offered “fuck off and we can have peace” but russia wants to keep eastern UA territories

• CableMonster@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  1 month ago

Cool, they are not going to do that so what is the actual way to get back the eastern territories?

• CableMonster@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago

Russia wont just go home because they see Ukraine joining nato as an direct threat to their survival. Why did NATO agree to consider Ukraine as a potential NATO member when they knew it would likely cause war?

• Blumpkinhead@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 month ago

Russia pushed Ukraine into seeking NATO membership when they attacked them in 2014. Ukraine was neutral before that.

• CableMonster@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  1 month ago

And NATO pushed Russia to take over Crimea when it helped to overthrow an elected government. Where does it stop?

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

To punish the organization that started the war.

Punishing violence with violence may seem like fighting fire with fire, but fire doesn’t respond to operant conditioning or compute game theory.

When an intelligent agent is causing problems, making problems for that agent is a way to signal that you’ll use your social power to alter their decision tree until they start playing nice again.

• CableMonster@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago

So to punish politicians that started a war you are willing to have hundreds of thousands of young men and civilians die? How exactly does that punish politicians that are not there and whos kids down have to fight?

• CableMonster@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

This whole war was 100% avoidable and you think that escalating it would make it end faster… dude…

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 month ago

Every war was just as avoidable as this one. Yet we live in a world where not everyone wants to avoid war.

War is what happens when those who want to avoid it are forced into interaction with those who don’t.

If those who don’t want war simply choose not to fight, then a state worse than war exists.

• macniel@feddit.org
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                2 months ago

avoidable how? Putin wants his old territories, like crimea, back. How is his land grab 100% avoidable?

• CableMonster@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  2 months ago

It was all about Ukraine joining nato. Had there been a promise that Ukraine would not join nato, this war would not have happened. The people in charge knew this and decided to do seek Ukraine joining nato anyways, why would they do this if they knew it would cause war?

• legion02@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 months ago

Nato entering would basically be an overwhelming force against Russia. It’s going to end real quick after that.

• OurToothbrush@lemmy.mlM
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  2 months ago

Okay so you want a hot war between Russia and NATO and you think that would be less violent?

Where are you getting your information from?

• Xanis@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

War is death. There is no glory. There is no pride. None of them are heroes by choice, and many never feel like heroes after their friends die by their side.

War is violence. A desire of man to take with force the independence of a people and exchange that for subservience under the guise of land, resources, need.

Young people are tricked to serve. Recruited to become servants, coerced through deceit to don colors and weapons. Made to repeat mistakes because smaller men want and are not freely given. To solely defend and defy the overreaching end of a tyrant’s sword is to fight for reason earned from treachery and desire.

Humanity is not defined by grief. We are defined by the selfless acts of love and kindness in the darkest hours. Make no mistake; monsters do exist, and the worst are never the ones in harm’s way.

• legion02@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

But sometimes you need to punch a bully in the mouth to protect the subject of their bullying. The only thing needed for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. In this case it would be a selfless act of love and kindness.

• Xanis@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              2 months ago

When an individual does that, they are doing so with a clear choice that they made. In a war, men die and leave families behind, and because they chose to defend their country, they are used to defend the interests of those with long swords and heavy sticks. They die without a choice far too often because they were tricked into believing they defend their homes.

All too often they’re forced into conflict that has very little to do with that choice. If our military didn’t try so hard to coerce and trick younger people into joining and thus being forced into conflict, I would be a bit less resentful and hateful towards the practice. That, however, is not the case.

• ☆ Yσɠƚԋσʂ ☆@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Trying to keep things more civil, but seems that I was not wrong in my assessment. You should really go sign up for the foreign legion.

• Fernlike@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

Yeah, no lol. This was a troll comment from the start, so please don’t take it seriously.

Although, seeing what essentially triggered WW1, I wouldn’t be too surprised if Romania actually invokes Article 5 since this is just another world war waiting to happen after years of built up pressure (The invasion of Ukraine, nuclear threats from North Korea, the East gathering up allies etc.).

• ☆ Yσɠƚԋσʂ ☆@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

Article 5 has absolutely no meaning unless US decides that it wants to fight Russia directly, which would result in a nuclear holocaust and end of our civilization. Europe simply does not have the industrial capacity to keep up with Russia on its own, nor does it have a cohesive and experienced army that could possibly stand up to Russia.

• kingthrillgore@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Just because Article 5 is activated doesn’t mean we’re going to war. It was activated on 9/11.

There’s a small small chance Article 4 will be activated, which could be used for some mobilization (but is clerical, to summon NATO for discussion). But I think nothing happens.