• hades@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

There are two ways to create a resume today. One option is to use a resume template, such as an office/google doc, and customize it according to your needs. The other option is to use a resume builder, an online tool that allows you to input your information and automatically generates a resume for you.

Using a resume template requires manual formatting work, like copying and pasting text sections and adjusting spacing, which can be time-consuming and error-prone.

Me just using LaTeX[1] with hundreds of templates[2] with no formatting problems for 18 years now…

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX

[2] https://www.overleaf.com/latex/templates/tagged/cv

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I just… make a resume. No template, I just use a word processor to lay out what I want where I want. My basic format is:

• quick details on the left - name, contact info, links to portfolio, etc
      • experience on the right - 3-4 items, newest on top, with 3-5 bullet points per item
      • skills and certifications on the bottom

I spend 10-15 min making it look a little pretty, then spend about 5 min customizing it for whatever role I’m applying for. If I really want the job, I’ll put some effort into a better cover letter and do some research about the company, bringing total time investment to 15 min or so. I can knock out 5-10 customized applications per hour, depending on how onerous their application process is and how many truly interesting roles I find. I keep track of every application in a spreadsheet, and follow up on the ones I care most about once/week.

So yeah, I’m with you, DIY is the best IMO.

• Jesus_666@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I just use the Europass CV Builder. Works fine for me, has been for well over a decade now.

Definitely one of the more subtle benefits of the EU: They made a perfectly serviceable resume builder.

(But yeah, a LaTeX template would also just work forever. This stuff is what TeX and its derivatives are great at.)

• 1rre
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I’m fairly sure to get my current job my resumé was just an unformatted txt file, imagine using formatting

• alexdeathway@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

This is a great and useful tool, especially considering it didn’t pop-up login/signup page after taking pdf for screening.

• ownsauce@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Thanks for sharing. The formatting messes up once you get to the 2nd page of your resume.