Almost 40,000 people registered to vote in the 48 hours after President Biden announced he was suspending his reelection campaign and endorsing Vice President Harris, Vote.org said.

Vote.org said 38,500 new voters registered, representing the largest number of registrations in a 48-hour period this election cycle.

Of the new voter registrations, 83 percent were from people aged 18-34, according to the voting registration nonprofit group.

• Yawweee877h444@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

I feel like a broken record as I keep repeating this, some agree some disagree I dont care.

Mark Kelly sucks. He opposes Medicare for all. Opposing Medicare for all is NOT a moderate position. It is definitively a right of center or conservative position. This is one of my personal deal breakers.

He also opposes the green new deal, as well as supported expanding oil drilling.

If these types of issues don’t bother you then that’s your prerogative.

• NewNewAccount@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

If these types of issues don’t bother you then that’s your prerogative.

Losing Arizona bothers me.

• Rivalarrival@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

This, exactly. We have a history of winning the popular vote and losing the election. We can argue about how terrible the EC is later, but that fact is not going to be changed before the election. We need to win the EC.

Harris is a California Democrat. She will easily win the blue states that anyone with a “(D)” after their name would win, and she will almost certainly take the popular vote. But that isn’t enough to win a presidential election.

Kelly is a unicorn. He is a Democrat that has the demonstrated ability to win in a red state. He will win any state that Harris will win, and he has a good chance at poaching enough voters to turn some otherwise red states competitive.

Harris might squeak through a win if we are very, very lucky.

Kelly will beat Trump like a rented redheaded stepmule.

• Ensign_Crab@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

He is a Democrat that has the demonstrated ability to win in a red state.

The other senator form the same state also won as a Democrat. That doesn’t mean Harris should select her.

• Rivalarrival@lemmy.today
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

I think he has a better chance than Harris at winning the election. I think the negatives attributed to him are positions held by his constituents, and are not unreasonable in context. I think he is progressive, but pragmatic.

Yes, I’d put him at the top of the ticket.

That doesn’t mean I’ll “Bernie or Bust” for him.

• timbuck2themoon@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

They don’t bother me because he’s one person and we need absolutely every Democrat we can get to enact any change.

If losing gracefully “with ideals” and going further right in reality because Republicans control things doesn’t bother you then that’s your prerogative.