• ☆ Yσɠƚԋσʂ ☆@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

I’m just pointing out the obvious reason why the US would be promoting the use of Signal so aggressively. Molly doesn’t address the problem of having to go through a central server located in US to use Signal. The only way to address it would be to host your own server for yourself and your friends, but at that point you don’t actually need Signal in the first palce.

• Deconceptualist@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Where is it being promoted/marketed? I haven’t seen that. I’m only aware of Signal because of tech news and privacy threads.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

You haven’t answered my core questions. You seem to be suggesting there’s a centralized or concerted push to promote/market Signal rather than an assortment of disconnected posts and articles. I’m open to that possibility, but what’s the evidence?

• ☆ Yσɠƚԋσʂ ☆@lemmy.mlOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago

The evidence is that a lot of prominent people in tech, influencers if you like, incessantly promote Signal, and anybody pointing out problems with it gets immediately mobbed. I don’t have definitive proof for you, if that’s what you’re asking, but it’s certainly a weird situation that I haven’t seen happening with other messaging platforms. I find it odd to say the least.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

I hadn’t noticed, but if that’s the case it certainly is weird and suspicious. I’ll keep an eye out, thanks.