Two of Silicon Valley’s famous venture capitalists make the case for backing Trump: that their ability to make money is the only value that matters.

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

When your job is extracting as much money as possible, including via unnecessary mass layoffs, being good at your job is a BAD thing.

His job was to help screw workers over to maximize the wealth of already rich people and to a certain degree, it still is.

• Rapidcreek@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Spoken like a guy who has never been in business. Maximizing profit is what you are paid to do. I’ve worked for large corporations and created small companies. Without the realization of that fact, you cannot be successful in either.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Maximizing profit is what you are paid to do

Which is a societal disease, not an immutable fact of life. Seeking profit maximizing at the expense of the workers and/or the quality of the product or service you offer is not virtuous or natural.

Without the realization of that fact, you cannot be successful in either.

That’s just false. Many of us would consider providing a good product or service and providing gainful employment the end goals of commerce. Not maximizing profit at the expense of everything else like a goddamn parasite.

• Rapidcreek@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

It’s not a disease for anybody who believes in free enterprise. It’s true for management and workers.

Building good product and services is a way to maximize profits. It really isn’t an either/or situation.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

believes in free enterprise

Like religion, that’s a concept the powerful made up to control the market.

Truly “free” enterprise, IE unburdened by regulations, inevitably ends up with the powerful dominating the powerless.

As I’m sure you’d agree, being dominated by someone who’s more powerful than you is nobody’s idea of free. In fact, even if you’re into it, it tends to be rather expensive.

Building good product and services is a way to maximize profits. It really isn’t an either/or situation

That used to be the case, sure, but nowadays there’s all sorts of ways to tweak profits that necessitates compromising on either quality (including treatment of workers) or profits.

So if you want to maximize (achieve the maximum of) profits, you literally have to compromise the quality, how you treat your workers, or both. Almost all companies do both.

• Rapidcreek@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago

I’ve only seen such opinions from Iron curtain countries that strive to get enough toilet. paper. Good luck with that, btw.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

I’ve only seen such opinions from Iron curtain countries that strive to get enough toilet. paper

It’s not my fault you live in a bubble of people with no class consciousness or solidarity with the exploited majority.

Good luck with that. And congratulations on always having enough toilet, paper.