It’s broader than a Neovim specific mapping, I’ve changed the system keyboard mapping of <Caps Lock> to <Esc> and <F9> to <Caps Lock>.

I think mapping <Caps Lock> to <Esc> isn’t uncommon for Neovim users. But I like having <Caps Lock> available for non Neovim purposes.

• KrankyKong@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

At the system level I have Caps Lock mapped to Escape (because who doesn’t), but I also have Caps Lock mapped to Control when I press it with another key, and I can press both shifts together to toggle Caps Lock.

At the Neovim level, I don’t think I have anything ground breaking. Most of my keymaps I think are fairly standard within the community. But here’s a couple of my more unique ones that I haven’t seen many people use:

-- quick-switch buffer with TAB
    keymap("n", "<TAB>", "<C-6>", opts)

-- Setup compilation keymap on fly
    --
    -- This one's actually pretty dope. 
    -- Sometimes there's a command I want to run frequently, but it's not 
    -- something I want to dedicate a permanent keymapping for because it's so 
    -- specific to the task at hand. So this is keymap for creating another keymap
    -- to run a terminal command with <leader>c
    keymap("n", "<Leader>C", ":map <lt>leader>c :!<lt>cr><left><left><left><left>", {})

Oh, and here’s some blasphemy for you, when I’m presenting I like to gesture with my mouse, or even sometimes just when I’m thinking through something. So I have keymaps in place to open my file explorer with right-click, or my harpoon window with middle-click. Then I have mouse keymaps in each of those windows to further navigate or select files with the mouse. Just makes navigating easier because I don’t have to keep switching back to the keyboard (super fucking backwards, I know).

Here’s my config in case anyone’s interested. Maybe someone can find something useful in there. https://github.com/rnwtn/nvim-config/blob/master/lua/user/keymaps.lua

• dm319@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Yes, I also have caps mapped to esc, but done in keyboard firmware so that holding it functions as ctrl.

In neovim I have two escapes mapped to :noh

• dm319@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Just to clarify - means two taps of the esc key in succession will clear highlighting (ps I’m curious how other people do it!).

nmap <esc><esc> :noh<return>