• celeste@kbin.earth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

He urgently consulted a plastic surgeon who said that even with surgery to repair the finger - and the long recovery time - it may not regain full function.

Honestly, it seems like a pretty logical decision. Lots of people would opt for amputation in that situation, I think, even without factoring in giving up a lifelong dream.

• DarkThoughts@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I think I’d try to recover first. If it turns out it doesn’t function anymore I can still decide to remove it.

• celeste@kbin.earth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

True! I think I’d go that direction, too. But I can imagine someone else being like “nerve pain sucks and it’s just a finger” about it.

I just think the option was between two different surgeries, neither with an ideal outcome, not between just waiting for it to heal and amputation, so it’s not as silly a decision as it first seems.

• Alue42@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Lucky for you that you’ve never been in that position. You don’t get to decide “I’ll just remove it later if it doesn’t work out”. That’s considered an elective amputation and a cause to send someone to the psych ward - yes, even if there’s pain resulting from a severe injury and subsequent surgery. When given the option of restorative surgery that may repair it or may leave you with no function and lifelong unbearable nerve pain, or the option to amputate which will remove functionality but at least have predictable results, you need to make your decision at that point. Once you have one of them done, you can’t go back and say “ya know what, this isn’t working, I want you to go the other way instead”. I have lived with the unbearable nerve pain and zero functionally after reconstructive hand surgery and have begged for decades to go back and do the amputation instead. Enough nerve pain that I have threatened to self-amputate, that I have attempted to take my life. None of that matters, the pain is dealt with medically, not surgically, no matter how much you tell them the medical options don’t help.

When this athlete says he made an informed decision - I know that means he found out what the potential was and that he asked if he would be able to make a new decision if he first tried to repair it.

I’ve known many people that had similar surgeries that it worked just fine, and many others that live in constant pain. There’s no formula to know which way it will go, and we still know so little about how the brain interprets pain, especially nerve pain, that there is so little we can do for it.

• DarkThoughts@fedia.io
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

You’re right. I don’t even need potential amputations to get to the psych ward. Lucky me.

• DarkThoughts@fedia.io
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

No, I think that’s more because I sit on my ass all day and have all sorts of issues that go beyond a stiff finger.