• Morphit @feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Some of the applications sound really interesting and given that clients need no special hardware means currently on orbit satellites could benefit from this. Keeping lunar payloads alive through the night would be awesome - way simpler than getting nuclear power deployed there.

Yeah, I think the power transmitter and the targeting need a lot of work, but I think there are customers that would pay ridiculous rates to reduce orbit raising times or do more taskings per orbit than their power budget would normally allow.

• burble@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I’d prefer to be wrong, because it just sounds cool, but this feels like the same conversation as refueling. With mass to orbit and component manufacturing getting cheaper and more available, it seems easier to have bigger solar arrays and more batteries. I’m sure there’ll be some GEO birds that want a light in the darkness, but, like refueling and mission extension so far, that’s not a big market.

I’m just skeptical of startups that feel more built to extract venture capital than turn a profit.