I saw some set in ancient China which seemed pretty cool. I’d love to find it and get some subtitles going.

One show had an evil character that was a woman with many lower ear piercings. Starting on her ear lobes, trailing up the edge of her ear. She seemed like a power hungry royal who’d slap and punish other women a lot. Really pretty show. Her looks and character’s tendencies are why I remember it.

• thethirdgracchi [he/him, they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

OK I’ve got plenty of recs, I assume by Chinese you mean Mandarin Chinese but if that’s not the case let me know and I’ll shoot you other recs. Anyway:

Three Kingdoms from 2010 is a great show about the Three Kingdoms period. Dozens and dozens of episodes, it’s got the intrigue of Game of Thrones set in historical three kingdoms period China. Can be found on YouTube very easily.

The works of Bi Gan are incredible. Long Day’s Journey Into Night is basically a David Lynch movie fused with a Tarkovsky movie set in southern China. Superb stuff. The last 50 minute sequence, all of which is filmed in one shot, is breathtaking. One of my favorite movies of all time.

Jia Zhangke is another very famous Chinese filmmaker that makes great movies. Start with 24 City, but really any of his work is wonderful.

Edward Yang is a Taiwanese New Wave filmmaker who has some of the greatest films ever shot. Yiyi is the best film of the 21st century, no question. A Confucian Confusion, A Brighter Summer’s Day, and The Terrorizers are all classics as well. A lot of Taiwanese New Wave is great tbh, Hou Hsiao-hsien is another who has some great stuff (A City of Sadness, Daughter of the Nile).

Only the River Flows is a perfect crime drama, in the vein of Kurosawa’s Cure, True Detective season 1, or Bong’s Memories of a Murder. The dark atmosphere is fantastic, and the cinematography has this delicious vintage feel despite the movie being from last year.