• Optional@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

On May 19, 1992, during a crucial part of the presidential campaign, Vice President Dan Quayle delivered a speech on family values that came to define him nearly as much as his famous “potato” gaffe. During the speech, he criticized Murphy Brown a fictional 40-something, divorced news anchor on a popular situation comedy   for her choice to have a child outside of marriage. Quayle argued: “Bearing babies irresponsibly is simply wrong.

Same Shit Different Decade

• Got_Bent@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

So I just went and revisited that whole thing. I remember it vaguely, but not any details.

The gist was that Murphy was deciding whether to have the baby or abort it and the Republican vice president says she’s terrible for having it because she’s not married.

Of course, I guess the intent was that she was supposed to marry whoever got her pregnant, but it presents as she should have aborted it. Interesting in today’s forced birth environment.

• Asafum@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Of course, I guess the intent was that she was supposed to marry whoever got her pregnant

I think it’s worse with some of these nutjobs. They’d say you shouldn’t be sleeping with someone you aren’t married to, it’s the extra level of “irresponsibility” they want to slander you with as well. Unmarried and promiscuous…

• Todd Bonzalez@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

If Republicans had their way, executing unmarried pregnant women for having sex outside of marriage would be some sort of exception to a fetus’ right to life…

• Optional@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Yeah he wasn’t pandering to 1992 republicans, he was pandering to 1960s republicans.

And he was VP only because Bush the I should have gone to jail for Iran Contra. The more things change amirite

• adarza@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

an emmy-nominated episode, at that. (for directing, peter bonerz)

• ricecake@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Ew.

Taken out of context, the phrase almost sounds like it could be used to argue for education, contraception, and healthcare access, not whatever grossness he’s actually meaning in context.

I agree it should only be done responsibly, which is why I’m in favor of people have the information and tools to ensure it only happens when they’re prepared and able to do so.