There has been concern that if an ad is for a product someone can still purchase today then it is more an ad, and less something retro/vintage.

Anyone have any thoughts either way? I may do a poll.

Edit: This appears pretty conclusive. There will be no changes at this time. Some have mentioned the lack of hard timeframe but until that becomes an obvious issue is prefer to keep it vague.

• viking@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Yeah sure, I don’t see why not. Some of the best ads from decades past are from the likes of Coke, Pepsi, various fuel stations, cigarettes or alcohol.

And those are pretty prolific…

• Rhynoplaz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Definitely keep them. Especially since most of the old ads aren’t exactly flattering by today’s standards.

• reflectedodds@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

I think they should be allowed. Retro/Vintage is a theme. We still buy gasoline, but there’s always vintage gas pumps in antique shops and they’re cool to see. Same with vintage coke products.

• southsamurai@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Well, yeah. It’s about the aesthetics, nostalgia, history, design, and vibe, not the availability of the product.

I mean, c’mon, there’s companies that have been around for over a century selling the same basic things. Those ads are no less interesting than the ones from defunct companies in any way. If anything, a company that’s still around, products that are still around, may be more interesting because we could go and compare old ads to new ones on our own and see how ad design has changed over time.

One of my hobbies is knives. Specifically, slipjoint knives, like the old school “grandpa” type of things. Just the history of Buck, one of the more well known companies is a book’s worth of ad design changes. Looking at other companies like Schrade, case, or boker, etc, and comparing the way they differed vs the overall trends in knife advertising is a thing knife geeks can spend a lifetime puttering around with. None of that is less interesting because the companies still sell the same or similar products.

Barring currently available products is, frankly, a dumb idea. Now, a time limit of when an ad was published last, that would be fitting for the C/'s theme. Say, something like 20 years as the cutoff makes sense, maybe even 30. But that’s a different thing

• threelonmusketeers@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Sure, this community is called “vintage ads”, not “vintage products”. I think any ad is fine here, as long as it’s vintage.

A more interesting question might be “How old does an ad have to be to be considered vintage?”

• fuzzzerd@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Vintage is 25+ years, antique is 100. That’s the guidance of physical items typically. Seems to fit here as well, IMO.

• threelonmusketeers@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

1999 is vintage. I’m not sure how to feel about that. It’s around the turn of the century, which somehow feels both recent and distant.

• Rolando@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

What’s hateful about ads is that they pop up when they’re not wanted. But this is a community about advertisements, so the ads are right where they’re wanted. (assuming they’re vintage.)

• hahattpro@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

yeah, ads change overtime. If the brand survive, old ads still old ads.

For example: look at cocacola ads. Old day, lot of text. Nowaday, only big text and picture. Kid nowaday dont like reading like old day :D

• Skullgrid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Depends on if the nature of the product changes and evolves, how ubiquitous it is, and how aggressively it’s currently being advertised.

Coca cola adverts and similar products can go to hell. A motorola advert for a car phone should be allowed.