It’s not just lemmy that’s benefiting from Elon Musk.

• PeleSpirit@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I don’t think all of the apps have this option, but they change so quickly that they might all have it now. If I put in my search #mastodon, there is a person outline that has a + sign after it. This lets you follow any post with the #mastodon on it. It’s pretty cool to find your topics. I know Tusky has it but my version of Mastodon doesn’t.

• joe@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

This is how I mainly used Mastodon before Lemmy. It lets you follow topics instead of people; I prefer finding content this way. Unless a person really likes the format of Mastodon better, I’d suggest Lemmy over Mastodon for people that would rather follow topics than individuals.

• PeleSpirit@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I like it more than Twitter and go there way more often but I went to Twitter like once or twice a year. I like their search better and this feature but you’re right, Lemmy is way more fun.

• joe@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

I found it very refreshing that it doesn’t have an algorithm at all. I know there are some downsides to that, but I think they’re worth it.

• PeleSpirit@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                11 months ago

I think they do have an algorithm but it’s super basic, Ruud from lemmy.world said they’re trying to adjust it. It’s not focused on making money but more on what you subscribe to, what your instance puts on the front page and not much else. I think they’re trying to make it more inclusive to the little instances and communities so it doesn’t get overwhelmed by a few large places.

• joe@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  11 months ago

On Mastodon? I distinctly recall reading that it did not have one but I guess these projects are fast moving so maybe it has changed or I am just mistaken.

• PeleSpirit@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    11 months ago

Oh sorry, I meant lemmy. Not aware of how that works on Mastodon except that the Mastodon app has a “for you” section. Thats probably an algorithm of some type?

• ErinCrush@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Tusky is a great app. But it doesn’t seem to have a trending tab, which I use to find cool accounts to follow. For now I use trunks.

• PeleSpirit@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

It has it, it’s in the search bar when you press hashtags. You put in your search hashtag and then press the little silhouette with the + sign and you’re following the hashtag in general.

• ErinCrush@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Not not trending hashtags. Just overall trending posts. Maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall tusky or something.

• PeleSpirit@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                11 months ago

I think I read your comment wrong, I thought you wanted to save a hashtag for watching all hashtags. You’re right, tusky doesn’t have that.

• MysticKetchup@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

If you go to settings you can add/remove tabs which includes trending. You can also add your own tab with any combination of hashtags, but pretty sure this only sorts by latest

• DharkStare@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Another good thing is putting people you follow into lists. I just wish we could do the same with hashtags.

• spaduf@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Those are actually not groups. Groups boost posts from all users that mention them. https://a.gup.pe/ is one implementation of groups with mastodon in mind, but lemmy communities actually work the same way when followed from mastodon. I believe other fediverse platforms implement groups in similar ways under the hood. This means that everything is more or less interoperable between platforms.

• PeleSpirit@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Oh you’re right, I didn’t realize there was a separate thing and that’s a great feature too. I think the author needed to add whatever I was talking about then too.

• spaduf@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Groups boost posts from all users that mention them. https://a.gup.pe/ is one implementation of groups with mastodon (and other federated microblogging platforms) in mind, but lemmy communities actually work the same way when followed from mastodon. I believe other fediverse platforms implement groups in similar ways under the hood. This means that everything is more or less interoperable between platforms.

EDIT: Try it yourself! Follow technology@lemmy.world from Mastodon to see what I mean. Although I don’t know that I would stay a follower of a community that large unless I wanted significant impacts on my feed. A smaller, potentially more useful, addition to your feed are things like gardening communities.