• coffeeguy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I just canceled my youtube premium account after about 7 years of constant membership.

The recent price increase was crap. The service I receive hasn’t improved - actually with their shitty compression even on “4k” videos my enjoyment has really decreased.

But, the big driver were ads. With premium I didn’t see ads, instead I was increasingly bombarded with “words from our sponsor” all over videos.

Anyway, I recommend freetube. For now at least, it actually blocks all ads including sponsor blocks.

I won’t pay a monthly fee to be google’s advertising product.

• applejacks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I just changed my country to India, and subscribed.

Would never pay $10/month or whatever the cost is, but at my $1.30/month rate, it’s worth it.

• InvaderDJ@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I’ve heard about this life hack for years, but I don’t want to risk my primary Google account since my mail is attached. I have to create an acct strictly for YT and try that.

• Lemmy Reddit That@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I think you have to create new account anyway. At least that’s what I did for YouTube Music. Because I don’t want to change home country of my main account and I even think you can only change country once a year or something, so I created new one, using VPN set to Turkey, and now I have family pack for around 1.20€ - 1.80€ (this month it was 1.20€), up to 6 users. But this is only YouTube Music Premium, without YouTube Premium.

• Pika@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I’m going to be the same way most likely, I’ve had it ever since I got my S9 at launch because Samsung ran a promotional where they gave you 6 months of YouTube premium for free, and I got spoiled by it.

But I got a notice last month saying that it’s going up to $14 a month instead of the 12 I was at, on top of the fact that getting YouTube premium doesn’t always guarantee the ads go away and I found my experience with YouTube premium has caused some features such as watch history and recommendations to start being weird. Like it won’t add videos that are in my queue to my watch History so if I queue up a bunch of videos before I go to bed and then I decide to stop the video halfway through I have to find my location again and the video because it doesn’t log its history

This is compounded by the fact that it’s search algorithm sucks now, I will very frequently not get alerts from channels that I am subscribed to and I only see three or four different channels that show up in my suggested feed, despite the fact that I have over 150 different channels subscribed. These issues have started pushing me further and further onto Twitch so I think I’m going to cancel my subscription and just get twitch Turbo (which is cheaper!)

• MyFairJulia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Those “words from our sponsor” parts happen because Youtube pays quite little to creators. Youtube Premium doesn’t get passed on to Youtubers.

• InvaderDJ@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I remember hearing from LTT (whose name is now in the mud) that YT Premium views do pay significantly more. It’s just that there aren’t many YT Premium subscribers compared to non-paying users.