So the 2024 Players Handbook (PHB) is set to release in September. I’ve already bought and paid for the book. In fact I get early access in early September.

However a bunch of YouTube and other folks got the books much earlier and the embargo for them to talk about it lifted in early August.

So now I have to learn piecemeal how the new rules work. I have to hope whatever YouTube video I watch got the rules right. My only reference is random videos.

Luckily someone did write down a rough outline at https://rpgbot.net/2024-dnd-5e-transition-guide-and-change-log-everything-thats-different-in-the-new-players-handbook/

Anyone else find this to be bullshit? It’s like Christmas morning for “influencers” but my gifts arrive in a month.

In short if folks know of a good copy of the 2024 PHB I’d love to read it.

• Aielman15@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

It’s actually a great way to roll out a product. The reason they are paying content creators is to drive engagement on their product so that people get excited and pre-order/buy said product. They don’t care about fairness or rules or whatever. They just want to make more money.

If you don’t like it, try to remember it next time they release a new product.

• MimicJar@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Sure, but if the embargo was September 1st, or even the same day I get my book, that all would still apply; and I would have access to the product.

What is the purpose of building hype for a product I can’t have?

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

What is the purpose of building hype for a product I can’t have?

If you still want to buy it after them doing this, then that’s exactly the purpose.

• MimicJar@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

I mean I already bought it, before I knew about any of this pre-release or embargo stuff.

I’m also not sure your logic tracks even if I hadn’t bought it.

I am excited for a product. They build hype. I’m still excited, but also annoyed.

But if I weren’t excited. They build hype. Now I am excited, but also annoyed.

I fully understand why they release it to “influencers”, but why prevent me from having the product? They’ve made the sale. I’m in. All they’re doing is preventing further sales. If I can’t have the thing I bought then I can’t want more of a similar thing.