Lyft and Uber say they will leave Minneapolis if the mayor signs a minimum wage bill for drivers::Lyft and Uber threatened to stop doing business in Minneapolis after the city council adopted a new rule Thursday that would set a minimum wage for rideshare drivers.

• Monkey With A Shell@lemmy.socdojo.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

So sounds a lot like the world of a pizza driver, which I have done that. No personal interest in doing so since I have a solid thing already but the concept of the freelance ‘work when you feel’ being more prevalent is I figgure a net good for some people. Particularly I think of the retired and board, or someone who wants a couple extra bucks for holidays, things like that.

“Not allowed to pick up/qualified to drive there”? That just seems bizzare and pointless…

• Sestren@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I don’t know if it’s changed since my last attempt at it, but there were two separate reasons for not being able to pick up at specific areas. I was limited to my state for pick-ups, but could drop off anywhere. I also live about 20 minutes from a major city in a neighboring state… so you can see how that breaks the system instantly. It was probably a related to a local law, but that’s just how shit worked.

The other reason was due to an airport agreement that I’m sure has since been undone. An airport about an hour north of me only allowed regular taxis. Lyft and Uber were not allowed to operate within about a 15 minute radius of their location. This, of course only affected pick-ups, so dropping someone off there resulted in about 30 minutes (15 getting out of the congested drop off area and 15 actually driving) of unpaid time. And that’s assuming that you can find a ride the instant that you breach the barrier. Which you won’t…