Hello everyone,

One of the most common budgeting advice is to build an emergency funds, that should cover 3 to 6 months of regular expenses, and to only use that money in the case you lose your main source of income.

Another name for that kind of savings is “f*** you money”, as it largely reduces the leverage your employer has over you. Have you ever experienced that?

It occurred to me in one of my previous jobs. It was shortly after covid, a period of time when I had been working from home, making as much as usual, but without all the usual expenses (eating out, travelling, having drinks, etc.).

It came out that just after covid, while we had all been working perfectly fine (there was even a productivity peak in all the metrics), the top management decided that it was time to go back to the office. Nobody really understood why among the employees, especially as everyone had been working so well.

It was the 3rd or 4th of January, I had just spent Christmas and NYE with my family and friends back in my hometown. Then I had a meeting with my director, and at the end of the meeting, he scolded me that I was not in the office, but working from home.

Earlier in my career, I would have probably said that I was sorry, and that I would be in the office the next day. But at this moment, I knew that I had enough savings to cover for several years of my regular spending. I didn’t say anything, but in my mind, it was crystal clear that I wouldn’t be part of this company much longer.

A few days, during my evaluation with my director, I told him that I was quitting. He was shocked, he could not understand. Was it about the money? The responsibilities? I didn’t even try to explain, because I know that the policy was pushed by the CEO, and he is known to be incredibly stubborn. In the end, I just told him that I wanted a change of scenery. I didn’t even had another job signed yet (I wanted to take a break from work for a few weeks). He probably thought that I needed my job so much that I would put up with this non-sense.

It felt liberating, and it would definitely not be possible without that emergency funds. I didn’t really even had to touch it, but just knowing that it was there, ready to be used if needed, made such a big difference.

What is your “f*** you money” story?

• swiffswaffplop@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I feel like you should’ve told him that it was specifically due to the return to office policy. That way they could understand the effects of that decision.

• m0darn@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Yeah OP did a large disservice to his colleagues by not explaining.

• Deftdrummer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Contrary to popular belief - most companies do not ask for a exit interview and ultimately, don’t give a fuck why you’re leaving.

It gets mentioned often, because there are a lot of feelings involved - but your boss doesn’t really care.

• m0darn@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Contrary to popular belief - most companies do not ask for a exit interview

But in this case they did

and ultimately, don’t give a fuck why you’re leaving.

Companies care about profits. If employee retention challenges are hurting profits they will try to address those issues in the cheapest way possible. There’s a good chance that letting employees work remotely is the cheapest way to improve retention.

• BlazeOP
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

I answered in another comment above, long story short, they didn’t really ask me, it was not worth it to provide feedback if they weren’t going to take it into account

• Deftdrummer@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Every employee thinks they’re gonna be the one to stick it to the man and affect profit motives on their way out. Reality? everyone is replaceable. They do not give a fuck about you or your opinion. Your comments will likely go into the bin or a suggestions pool at best. Corporations do they want and it’s almost always the wrong path.

• m0darn@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Every employee thinks they’re gonna be the one to stick it to the man and affect profit motives on their way out.

No. I think generally people are pretty aware of how hard it is to change the system.

everyone is replaceable.

Correct, but there are replacement costs.

They do not give a fuck about you or your opinion.

Correct, but they do care about how their policies affect their costs.

Your comments will likely go into the bin or a suggestions pool at best.

It’s just about giving your immediate boss data so that when big boss says:

“why is there so much turnover in your department? The recruitment costs are way out of line, and your retraining is killing your productivity”

Instead of immediate boss saying:

“this generation has no loyalty to their employer” (lol)

They can say:

“employees are leaving for jobs that allow work from home, we should ask HR if they think an adjustment to our policy would make recruitment and retention easier. This generation acts so entitled but I think this may be a way to reduce turnover without increasing payroll costs”

Or whatever.

Corporations do what they want and it’s almost always the wrong path.

They always try to maximize profits for the top, it’s rare that that lines up with the interests of the bottom.

• BlazeOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I answered in another comment above, long story short, they didn’t really ask me, it was not worth it to provide feedback if they weren’t going to take it into account

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Alright, so here’s the catch: I was working for one entity of a group. I was reporting to the entity director, but the whole group was still owned (something like 55%) by a single person, with an egocentric personality, and that owner was vehemently against working from home.

I mentioned to the entity director that there was nothing he could change as the working from office policy was pushed by the group (he had mentioned that earlier to a lot of people, that we were not following “the group policy”). I did not have an HR exit interview where to report my issue with the WFH policy directly.

Just to give an example at how stubborn the owner was: it was okay for me to work in one office while every other person I was working with would be in a different one, but I wasn’t allowed to work from home. I would thus go every day from my hometown to that office, interact with no one, make a few calls with my team in the other office, and go back home.

To even add more context, one of my former reports who took my role left a few months afterwards as well, in his case the issue was the pay they were offering.

Long story short, this company was full of issues, and didn’t seem to bother to even ask for feedback. A lot of other people quit around the time I did.

• utiandtheblowfish@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

“Fuck you money” to me is where I don’t need to work at all. Unless I am truly financially independent, I haven’t reached “fuck you money” status

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Same, though I’d put it a little lower, in that maybe I can’t fully retire, but I could take a significant amount of time off and not worry too much.

So maybe something like 75% of the way to retirement.

• alex [they, il]@jlai.lu
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

My country has great unemployment benefits, labour laws, and social security so our “fuck you money” is usually about 2 or 3 months salary in case your car breaks down or something else of that kind. It’s pretty neat.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Mine isn’t quite the same, but when COVID started, I was working as a contractor (big dreams!) and I lost all of my clients. My wife was pregnant and almost due, so I just didn’t bother with going out to find new clients (everyone seemed to be gearing up for a recession).

That lasted for the better part of a year, at which point I found my current job, and I completely love it! I didn’t realize how crappy my past clients were until I got a good full-time job with benefits paying more than I was charging for contract work.