• anakaine@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

“Please name a reason to use Windows other than your main reasons for using Windows.” That is how it comes across.

There are many excellent reasons to use both operating systems. The space is like a Venn diagram. There is some overlap in the reasons people have for using either, and a whole bunch of others that don’t overlap. At this stage we should be moving well past identity politics and putting the emphasis on designing and building applications that run on multiple operating systems. This way people can use their chosen ecosystem and reap the benefits of their existing stack in terms of productivity. We needn’t judge.

• ThesePaycheckAvenging@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

“Please name a reason to use Windows other than your main reasons for using Windows.” That is how it comes across.

And that was exactly what I intended. The only thing Windows has going for it is better adoption. Devs would target other platforms if users chose them - it’s starting in gaming thanks to Valve and their Steamdeck.

I really don’t see another reason, let alone a manifold of them, to stay on Windows. Especially since Microsoft has been making it worse and worse with their snooping, annoying update policy, constantly increasing pricing, ever-shorter lifecycles and push to cloud.

• raspberriesareyummy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

There are zero excellent reasons to use windows. Being forced for lack of alternatives is a legitimate reason, but far from excellent.

• John Richard@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I run Windows in a QEMU VM for a few things, but I’d much rather run Windows inside Linux than Linux inside Winblows.

• raspberriesareyummy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

yeah, Win7 was the last usable Windows. Anything beyond is just bloatware. And I am so happy that my Linuxes make even the shittiest old Laptops a pleasure to use. :) XFCE as a lightweight desktop is just so… plain. It gets the job done and I know where everything is. All the time. Of course, others’ tastes may vary, and it’s beautiful we have so many window managers to choose from :)