• skillissuer
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

they already had blue on blue ambush. some telegram channel listed equipment captured by ukrainians, but that equipment that was ambushed was not, in fact, captured

• skillissuer
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

we don’t know if it was intentional, and with how reliable is the only source of information (ukrainians maintain very tight opsec) that is russian telegram channels, it might be that it perhaps didn’t happen at all. at any rate they may be trying to do it again because i’ve seen another, shorter list after that incident

• skillissuer
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

on first or maybe second day, when russians were suddenly cut off from all their wireless communications due to jamming, some of fleeing russians were targeted by artillery because spotters confused them for advancing ukrainians

• tal@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Lmao imagine having blue/blue issues on literally your own territory

I’d guess that it’s probably easier there, if anything. Like, hopefully if you’re invading another country, whoever is commanding the thing has some kind of unified command and has got a reasonable handle on your forces. I don’t expect that random Russian forces are doing a lot of crossing the border on their own initiative.

But if your own country is invaded, then the area is going to be more-accessible to your own people. You’ve got all kinds of people running around, including potentially people who are just in the picture because they were just in the area. Various types of militia. Maybe local law enforcement. I’d bet that the Kremlin is probably under more political pressure to halt advances in Russia than Ukraine, so throwing even not-terribly-well-coordinated soldiers in the path of an advance. You’ve probably got some local forces in the path of the thing who are making calls that may-or-may-not be terribly well-coordinated. Russia has internal military stuff like Rosgvardia.