Stratasys is claiming infringements on patents it owns (included ones acquired from Makerbot) on things like purge towers, heated beds, and force detection. Many of them things common to most FFF/FDM 3D printers.

Its an interesting coincidence that this lawsuit against one printer maker is happening on the same day as a new product announcement (the Prusa MK4s) from another major printer maker.

In two complaints, filed in the Eastern District of Texas, Marshall Division, against six entities related to Bambu Lab, Stratasys alleges that Bambu Lab infringed upon 10 patents that it owns, some through subsidiaries like Makerbot (acquired in 2013). Among the patents cited are US9421713B2, “Additive manufacturing method for printing three-dimensional parts with purge towers,” and US9592660B2, “Heated build platform and system for three-dimensional printing methods.”

There are not many, if any, 3D printers sold to consumers that do not have a heated bed, which prevents the first layers of a model from cooling during printing and potentially shrinking and warping the model. “Purge towers” (or “prime towers” in Bambu’s parlance) allow for multicolor printing by providing a place for the filament remaining in a nozzle to be extracted and prevent bleed-over between colors.

• fishos@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    28 days ago

Someone seriously patented purge towers? Ffs, first hearing that 3D printers were shelved for decades because some douchy company camped on the main patent, and now shit like this? Patenting “printing a square tower to accommodate the waste created during filament swaps” is fucking ridiculous. I can’t stand patents anymore. Corporate extortion through and through.

Fuck Stratasys.

• SkaveRat
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      29 days ago

Square tower. Time to make the purge tower a circle

• fishos@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        29 days ago

Or on a Bambu, just do a longer “poop” purge and spit it out the side like they already do. A tower isn’t even necessary. It’s only needed on devices without a purge capability. I’ve printed plenty of multicolored prints without any tower whatsoever on mine. Literally should be suing anyone but Bambu for that one.

• RecluseRamble@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      29 days ago

I can’t stand parents anymore

Anymore? They are literally government enforced monopolies. Monopolies are always great for that single company and the consumer pays the price.

Their intent to protect the lone inventor from evil corporations hasn’t been relevant at least in our lifetimes - it’s always just corp/troll holding the patent.

• fishos@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        28 days ago

For awhile I still believed there was a use for creators themselves. It’s basically the only way for an individual to sue a company for stealing their idea. But of course it gets captured by corporations and ruined. But until patents get some serious limits, yeah I’m out. They’re more harm than good, I agree. I just felt the good they were doing still had some merit…

• fishos@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        28 days ago

That would be a fun swap for the purge code lmao. Free “Fuck Stratasys” keychain with every print. Better than the squiggly “poop” blobs I get now…

• Todd Bonzalez@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    28 days ago

Just a reminder that Stratasys owns Makerbot and Ultimaker, ergo they also own Thingiverse and Cura.

They’re trying to claw back monopolistic power over 3D printing after their FDM patents expired, at the expense of hobbyists who just want to make stuff.

Hobbyists should consider carefully who they do business with. If you have any things hosted on Thingiverse, consider removing them and hosting them on a different service that isn’t run by a patent troll.