I think that federated gitlab instances could be a good next step forward for becoming independent from big companies.

At the moment I host a lot of my code to Github because of discoverability, but I do not feel comfortable with depending on Microsoft for this service. Gitlab is a self hosted Git server, but there is no way to federate the instances like on Lemmy. Are there any projects that deal with this?

• trent@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Microsoft is surprisingly pro-FOSS - probably more than any of the others in “big tech.” It’s the same reason MS isn’t in the FAANG acronym. They’ve consistently forwarded and contributed to the FOSS community over the past several years. They have massive stakes in the linux foundation, which is either conspiracy or just a shift in attitude (i haven’t decided myself yet). For a more concrete example, with LLMs, Microsoft (despite basically owning OpenAI) is contributing to free and open-source language model development, with Orca and TBAAYN, as well as publishing free and open-source tooling for LLM, such as the guidance repository.