“Distance prevents a lot of people from reaching providers,” says Myers, often times because they lack the money for travel, child care, and they can’t afford to miss work and lose wages.

• zombiepete@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I hope the Democrats hammer away at every single Republican on abortion rights and reproductive healthcare over the next election cycle.

• crankylinuxuser@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Unfortunately, the only “hammering” most of the democrats are doing is fearmongering-to-donate to their campaign.

The progressive democrats are a whole different story. They’re the ones supporting subversive traveling doctors to facilitate bodily autonomy rights.

• Summarizer@lemmy.dbzer0.comB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is a summary of the posted article (I’m a bot).

A year ago this week, the Supreme Court overturned the constitutional right to abortion. Dozens of reproductive health clinics have shuttered, and hospitals and doctors that used to provide abortion have stopped. Some states have strengthened abortion rights and new clinics that offer abortions have opened – some of them strategically placed in cities that border states with abortion bans. But as these maps show, access to abortion care has declined dramatically in the U.S. The states that have huge declines in access are Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma.

How do I work?

• TechyDad@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Hopefully, the abortion pills remain legal and easily available. States can’t regulate the mail system so they can’t intercept mailed abortion pills. (Doing so would be a federal offense.)

Of course, we’ve not only got some right wing nut jobs as judges who would be more than willing to decide that states are completely allowed to open and inspect every piece of mail and any future Republican Congress/President could rule that abortion (including pills) are illegal nationwide.

All it takes is one red wave to remove rights nationally that are (at best) hanging on by a thread in many places.