• Thelsim@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    28 days ago

I made a crochet axolotl!

It’s my first attempt and I’m pretty happy with how he turned out.
    I used super bulky blanket yarn, so he’s nice and cuddly :)

• SpaceNoodle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    28 days ago

I just got the depth buffer working on an undocumented embedded GPU. Finally my polygons will stop all Z fighting.

• Ahardyfellow@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    28 days ago

I’ve been designing and printing ‘enameled’ pins on my 3d printer for a bit and recently picked up the stuff to actually cast them out of metal. So far I’ve casted one, and it actually turned out, so I’ll probably be making some more this week!

• m0darn@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      27 days ago

What sort of metal did you use? I have some pins I need duplicated, and have toyed with the idea of doing it myself

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        27 days ago

I’ve been using bismuth because of the low melting point (no need for a furnace) . I just picked up some used kitchenware so I could melt it on the stove top.

Pewter apparently has a pretty low melting point too, so that could be an option as well.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            27 days ago

The picture is of the ‘finished’ pin, I’d still like to refine the process a bit.

The general process I follow is:

• print the pin
            • use a casting sand like petrobond and fill a metal container
            • talcum power the printed pin
            • press the pin into the casting sand to make the void for casting
            • heat up the bismuth until it is liquid
            • heat up the actual pin (looks like a thumbtack)
            • pour the molten bismuth into the void, and quickly put the actual pin piece in the molten bismuth, if it’s not hot enough the bismuth will cool and the pin won’t sink in
            • wait for it to cool (about a minute) then pull the pin out with some pliers (it’s still hot so you don’t want to touch it at that point)
            • take a dremel to any flashing that occurred
            • paint as required (I’m just using nail polish right now since it’s pretty durable)

Hopefully that helps! If you have any other questions I’d be happy to answer them :)

• m0darn@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              27 days ago

Great description. I’m thinking I’ll use some of that expensive castable silicone to make a reusable mold for pewter… or outsource the work to a professional.

It’s a hat badge for the marching band I play in.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                26 days ago

That’s sounds rad! You should post some pics on here if you do end up doing it! Totally understandable if you didn’t want the trouble tho!

• m0darn@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    27 days ago

I bought a used Nerf Prometheus, and haven’t been able to stop thinking about how to mod it.

• LordGloom@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    27 days ago

I finished building a bike. I’m a quarter way through Jedi Survivor. I got some tofu for the first time ever. It’s firm so just going to marinate, and bake it.

• Berttheduck@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    28 days ago

I have been playing a lot of Pacific Drive. Highly recommend it, I’m loving the vibes. Mostly chill with moments of panic.

• RebekahWSD@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    26 days ago

Made the copycat red lobster biscuits. They’re much better than the box mix the restaurant puts out!

I want to get better at biscuits. There’s usually something wrong with mine. These were good, so I’m still at a lose as to why sometimes they are just Bad.

• quinkin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    26 days ago

Raspberry pi zero w with 1-wire digital waterproof temperature probes to monitor my fishtanks in home assistant.