• norimee@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I personally find it worse, if city names are very different. Like Krung Thep Maha Nakhon (…) as Bangkok. Most Thai people just say Krung Thep, why can’t the rest of the world? I mean, they only changed the name in 1782…

Or Italians call Munich ‘Monaco’ which is really confusing because there is literally a country not that far away.

• norimee@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

But you must admit, that for English speaker not only the Ü , but also the CH are really big challenges. I feel like they done their best with Munich here.

But anyways, I would be in favor of changing it for the original upper bavarian “MINGA”

• hessenjunge
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Both have the same ‚distance‘ to Munichen albeit changing differently. The English pronunciation is an abomination though. Moon-Jen would be preferable from my POV.

• samus12345@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

The closest you can comfortably pronounce it in English would be something like Moonkin, so Munich is probably for the best.

• pedz@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

There’s a few in that region.

Aix-la-Chapelle -> Aachen Liège -> Luik -> Lüttich Gand -> Ghent or Gent?

• norimee@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Italian travel guide: “Monaco e i Castelli della Baviera/ Munich and the Bavarian Castles”

• pseudo@jlai.lu
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

Well, I guest there is not so many Bavarian Castles in the country of Monaco.