• DracolaAdil@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Woah, that’s way bigger than I thought it was. It’s pretty incredible that there is a portion of the ‘internet’ that is inter-connected.

Information and protocols that can freely move between platform and be freely referenced, all of which is not governed by large organizations but by people…spreading out the power and responsibility among the masses!

Sorry I went a bit poetic there; I can’t help but wonder, isn’t this what the internet was designed to be?!

• samsy@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yes it is, but it is everything a big company and their shareholders fear. Because you can’t monopolize and make money with it.

• aaaaaaaaargh@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I don’t really understand this image to be honest. There’s a lot of technology on it that is not even related with the Fediverse. What exactly am I missing here?

• guyman@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is great. Really puts into perspective how important the ActivityPub protocol is.

• Geronimo@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I like kbin. I don’t really know how to navigate it though. I subbed to a cat mag and now I get cool pictures. And I joined redditmigration but I might leave because fuck reddit

• Izzgo@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

So someone please clarify for this newbie: If I join any one of these, I automatically get some connection to the rest?

• Daniel Retana@mastodon.ie
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

@Izzgo @squirrel Yes, you can. Right now I’m writing from Mastodon and I can give upvotes, create posts, follow users and communities.

Not only I can interact with Lemmy/Kbin I also can do it with PixelFeed and PeerTube. I’ve done it on the last two a couple of times. In the case of Lemmy/Kbin I do it daily.

• Feels Good Man@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Right now I’m writing from Mastodon

As in you are using your Mastodon-Account, or as in you are using a Mastodon-Client to browse Lemmy Communities? If it’s the later one, I’m curious how this thread or a Video on PeerTube looks like on a Mastodon-Client. Do you mind sharing a screenshot?

• Daniel Retana@mastodon.ie
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

@Benutzer I hate every Mastodon client that I’ve tried (specially FediLab).
          I just access to my Mastodon instance from my browser (Firefox) and Lemmy/Kbin from also my browser. I copy the fediverse link on a post and paste it in my Mastodon search bar.
          Then I interact with the content.

Videos look like the ones that you can see on toots and photos from PixelFeed look like normal photos.

Speaking about looking. Here’s a photo of how one of my replies and a reply from Lemmy (Beehaw) looks like.

• SeedyOne@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Not at all. I’m curious exactly how it’s done myself.

In fact, it’d be amazing if someone made a little gif or video that showed how easily the fediverse can cross communicate.

• foof@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

More or less. The site owners have some discretion about which instances they federate (that is, exchange content feeds) with, so you may not get absolutely everything. And some of the connections seem more reliable than others - I’ve found that the Lemmy sites reliably share posts and comments with each other, and they seem to receive the stuff from kbin, but I’ve noticed some comments on Lemmy don’t seem to show up on kbin.

• BaldProphet@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Nextcloud and WordPress really shouldn’t be considered part of the Fediverse. They have ActivityPub plugins, but they’re not actually part of the Fediverse otherwise.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Nextcloud is absolutely a member of the Fediverse.

• reployer@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

you can connect your NC instance to others and interact and share with their users. Isn’t that federated?

• BaldProphet@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Nextcloud is a server, not an instance.

However, you are correct. Nextcloud now has federated filesharing built in. It requires the server to be Internet-facing and to have a domain name. According to the documentation, federated shares have to be created manually in a process resembling sharing files in Google Drive.

I stand corrected. Nextcloud has enough federation integrated for me to consider it a part of the Fediverse.

• aaaaaaaaargh@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Drupal shouldn’t be on the list as well. It’s way older than the Fediverse and something totally different.

• Juliie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I was just looking for something like this and a list with maybe some stats also would be neat

• PaintedSnail@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I see so much integration potential here. Want to post a video? It posts to a local PeerTube instance and embeds the video in the Mastadon post. Use Drupal to organize files in a local NextCloud instance for sharing on Lemmy. Use Mobilizion to set up community events in Kbin.

• End0fLine@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m not a content creator myself and have done absolutely no work to make this happen, but I have been hoping that with Mastodon, Lemmy, and Kbin taking off, that PeerTube would be next in line.

• scarabic@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Is there a way to bring them all together? Even within one service, like Mastodon or Lemmy, my experience is that you eventually hit the wall of “oh that topic is on another instance” and you can’t simply get all the topics you want to follow in one feed. Federated means “held together,” or “unified,” right? But I must be using it wrong or missing something huge because the end experience seems mainly characterized by fragmentation.

• PaintedSnail@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

That’s the fun part. You can subscribe to the content on another instance from your “home” instance. Right now I’m subscribed to feeds from possumpat.io, lemmy.ml, and more, and they all show up in my feed on my kbin.social home page. Even this post is on feddit.de, and I’m using my kbin account to reply.

• floofloof@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

They’re already connected. It looks like you posted this comment on kbin, but I’m reading and replying on a Lemmy instance because I have subscribed to some kbin communities (or magazines) from this Lemmy instance. And you can do the same in reverse, subscribing to Lemmy communities from kbin.

I do find the connection between kbin and Lemmy instances seems a bit unpredictable compared to the connections between different Lemmy instances. Sometimes comments show up on kbin but not Lemmy, and sometimes the other way round. Maybe the synchronization is just slower and they’ll show up eventually.

• Izzgo@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I feel a big advantage to NOT bringing them all together into one service is multiple leadership groups, so that if one becomes fascist it’s easy for people to simply move to another. Certainly as a long time redditor when reddit started its fascist garbage I kinda freaked out. I didn’t know where to go to get my “fix”. Now I still get the variety (and more every day), and if the devs for my primary group get power hungry I know some options.