The usual admin threat to reopen here:

https://imgur.com/a/qDMyZlX

I’ve notified the sub and left a recommendation to join kbin or lemmy. Curious to see if they also ban me from reddit over this, not that I planned on posting there again.

• SirEDCaLot@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The wording of these threat messages gets more hilarious by the day.
    Mods have a position of trust- so do admins and company management. We trust them to maintain a non-evil platform, and in exchange we give them content and ad impressions. That applies to all users not just mods.

As I see it, they just altered the deal.

No more is it ‘we provide a platform, you are welcome to grow your communities on it with minimal interference’, now it’s ‘you’ll run your communities as we tell you to for our benefit, and if you run your community in a way we don’t like we will take said community away from you’.
    If that had been the offered bargain from the beginning, many if not most of the Reddit communities would have chosen a different home.

• terath@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, I find it extremely off putting how they feel so confident to declare ownership over content we all gave them and built for free. Worse, at the same time they accuse US of being freeloaders! If I’m contributing free content I expect at a minimum some respect and civility in return, not being treated like some free slave labour.

• OtakuAltair@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Doesn’t reddit have the legal right to do basically anything with the content users create there?

You retain any ownership rights you have in Your Content, but you grant Reddit the following license to use that Content:

When Your Content is created with or submitted to the Services, you grant us a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, transferable, and sublicensable license to use, copy, modify, adapt, prepare derivative works of, distribute, store, perform, and display Your Content and any name, username, voice, or likeness provided in connection with Your Content in all media formats and channels now known or later developed anywhere in the world. This license includes the right for us to make Your Content available for syndication, broadcast, distribution, or publication by other companies, organizations, or individuals who partner with Reddit. You also agree that we may remove metadata associated with Your Content, and you irrevocably waive any claims and assertions of moral rights or attribution with respect to Your Content.

I have no legal knowledge, but this seems pretty fucked to me…

• terath@kbin.socialOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yes, they do, which is unsettling and why I’ve decided not to give them any more content.

• 50gp@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

any platform with user content needs basic license from users to let the platform display content that is owned by the users

• terath@kbin.socialOP
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

That’s true, but most of the terms are scoped as “to provide the service.” This is explicitly scoped to allow them to do anything “in all media formats and channels now known or later developed anywhere in the world” and even claims to be able to use your name and voice and possibly photo if it’s “connected” with your content. I can’t imagine something this broad would be held up in courts but who knows.

• gk99@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I’m just saying, they do this and also demanded r/piracy open back up, so shouldn’t that mean reddit is now involved with piracy and should be gone after by media companies?

• geoffervescent@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

That’s not really how it works. They can claim safe harbor from piracy that occurs on their forums and if they are demanding all communities open up then it’s not an endorsement of certain subjects over others.

• Zorque@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Just ownership and control over the content if it makes them money.

Basically “We can do what we want and you gotta suck a lemon”.

Legally justifiable… but ethically? That’s the real question.

• PenguinJuice@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Bingo!!! It’s so fucking distasteful and entitled. That alone is what will keep me off the platform for the rest of my life.

• Kichae@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

We trust them to maintain a non-evil platform

Reddit took money from Peter Thiel. That ship sailed a long, long time ago.

• SirEDCaLot@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Perhaps. They also took money from the Chinese. Of course it’s totally coincidental how anti-China articles sometimes seem to disappear for no apparent reason…

• Kichae@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Just to be pedantic about it, because someone’ll bring it up eventually: They took money from Tencent – and a lot of it – which, indeed, had close ties to the Chinese government (and now it sounds like the government owns a significant share of the company, but it didn’t at the time of investment). Tencent absolutely looks out for things that could negatively affect its relationship with the government of China.

I don’t mean to overlook the role Tencent has in enabling an authoritarian regime and papering over their authoritarian acts.

But they took white supremacist and actual fascist Peter Thiel’s money like 5 years before they took Tencent’s.

• pizza_rolls@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

What’s funny is apparently they blanket sent this out to ALL private subreddits. Subreddits that have been private for 3+ years are getting the message now.

Like I said before, the admins are going to remove whoever they feel like regardless of how much you bow down and obey them. Even if it makes no sense and has no warning. Remove all your custom stuff so reddit can’t take it over, and abandon ship. Waste of time to expect anything positive or event neutral to come out of that place anymore.

• phi1997@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

At this rate, Spez is going to remove the ability for subreddits to go private. Wouldn’t be surprised if he prevents them from being restricted too.