(unpaywalled version on archive.today: https://archive.ph/03cwZ)

Interesting figure that comes out of the article: 87% of US teens prefer iPhones. Also the explanations given aren’t quite surprising, I guess it’s mostly because of iMessage. Teens will feel like outcasts if they get an Android phone while their friends still use iMessage because of the green bubbles.

It’s actually hilarious how we allowed consumerism to take us this far and that we have now peer pressure over smartphones.

“You’re telling me in 2023, you still have a ’Droid? […] You gotta be at least 50 years old.”

ouch 😔

• Vijay Prema@fosstodon.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

@AlmightySnoo
    I see this from another angle. The 99% average people using stuff like this and judging people based on the color of a txt bubble simply are not worth hanging with. I mean the whole reason I use Lemmy and mastodon and not the platforms that the 99% use is for this reason. Let your honest choices filter the crap from your life.

• Cryophilia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s a pretty good filter. Anyone who cares about the color of text bubbles is not worth talking to.

• rDrDr@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

As a rule, kids are fucking stupid. A 38 year old who cares about chat bubbles you can pretty safely dump into a ditch. A 9 year old can still be redeemed. Also, kids need an opportunity to make mistakes and learn for themselves who they want to spend time with.

• Cryophilia@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

It’s more about the early 20s people I may or may not interact with.

Had a potential tinder date mention bubble color. That saved me an evening of finding out how stupid they were.

• bigdog_00@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I don’t actually agree, it’s less about the color of the chat bubble obviously, and more about the experience. iMessage is front and center, baked in, allows for full quality images and videos, typing indicators, reactions, replies, red receipts. You don’t get any of that with SMS. This is still absolutely an Apple problem through and through, preventing other chat apps from feeling native. That being said it does explain why people care so much about iMessage

• CSharp@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Yeah, but Apple could adopt RCS which Android supports and all of those messaging improvements you mentioned are copacetic.

• bigdog_00@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I agree completely. Like I said, it’s a problem that Apple has manufactured. But I blame Apple for making third party message clients into second class citizens, I don’t blame the users

• bigdog_00@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Almost every other app has those features, absolutely. And that wouldn’t be a problem if Apple didn’t prevent them from feeling like first-class apps, or they adopted RCS

• DogMuffins
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I feel exactly the same but it’s 20 some years since I was a teenager and for most of that time I was an idiot. Not an apple idiot but an idiot just the same.

• printerwhydontyouwork@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I stay with Android partially for this. All the irrelevant people exclude me from their iMessage group chats, and consequently, leaving me out of the gossips and drama.

Nobody in my circle cares about the color of the chat bubbles. Those who want to talk to you, and are worth talking to, don’t care.