I’m currently using a Veikk S640 but I’m thinking about upgrading to a better tablet. I only got that one because it was cheap and I didn’t have a lot of money at that time. I obviously want one without hardware smoothing and my play area is rather small (I can tell you the exact size if it’s important), so size shouldn’t matter. Price isn’t that important either.

Do you have any recommendations?

Edit: The tablet I decided on was the CTL-472. I just ordered it but I’ll probably update this post or make a new one about how much of a difference it made compared to my current tablet.

• ClipperDefiance@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

In general I’d stick to better known brands like Wacom, Huion, or XP-PEN. They’re are all reliable choices that you can’t really go wrong with.

Some more information would be helpful for a more specific recommendation. Are there any aspects of your current tablet that you’re unsatisfied with? Are you going to be doing any drawing or just playing osu? Additionally, what operating system are you on?

• FischOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

Are there any aspects of your current tablet that you’re unsatisfied with?

Not sure honestly. I don’t have anything to compare it to, maybe a better tablet without motion smoothing would be way better but I can’t know without buying one. Some small issues are that it’s so small that my hand is laying only half on the tablet and that the pen is so slippery that I need those thingies they put around tennis rackets for my fingers to not slip down the pen the whole time.

Are you going to be doing any drawing or just playing osu?

Just playing osu

Additionally, what operating system are you on?

Linux (Fedora, to be specific) but not sure how that’s important

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

Getting yourself an entry-level Wacom tablet will probably fit your needs best. You really don’t need the features that the professional models offer since you’re just using it for osu. With Wacom it should just work on Linux without the need for additional configuration (though you may want to configure the buttons and that can be handled graphically on GNOME and KDE). I mainly asked about OS for compatibility reasons.

For a current model I’d say go with an Intuos. If you’re open to something older then take a look at a used Bamboo. Both series come in a larger medium size which is usually around 8x6 inches (the one I linked is a medium).

A thing to note when you’re looking is that Intuos used to be the name of the professional models and Bamboo was entry-level. Now Intuos is the entry-level, Intuos Pro is professional, and Bamboo are capacitive styli.

• FischOPM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          22 days ago

Thanks a lot. Since I use OpenTabletDriver anyway (or rather, osu! has it built in), I think pretty much every tablet should have worked anyway.

The Intuos you linked actually looks like a great tablet, I might go with that. Even though it’s wireless, from the pictures it looks like it can be connected via a wire as well, right?

Edit: Just searched up the tablet and someone on Reddit said that it has hardware smoothing when hovering. I play drag but still, that person also said there’s no reason to get this one over a CTL-472.

Edit 2: I read that the CTL-480 is supposed to be the best tablet you could get. Do you know anything about that? I just looked on ebay and I could easily get one.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            22 days ago

I never had a CTL-480 (I had a CTH-460) but I think my sister might have had it (or a very similar looking one). Based on a quick search it’s a small model, but other than that I think it fits your needs.

While I was looking I also found this Google Docs spreadsheet that has a bunch of recommended tablets.

• FischOPM
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              22 days ago

I think that’s all the information I need, thanks. I’ll edit this post once I decide on one, in case anyone finds this in the future.

• Ascend910@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    18 days ago

I use abstouch on my laptop trackpad and buy a disk-headed stylus and it works perfectly, no lentency. Linux btw