Please drop some links for the soldering irons y’all use, mine is apparently lost in my parent’s attic, and thinking of, probably too large for console modding.

I figured to ask here as I believe the console modding community here would already have some good finds. I’m also wanting todo a battery mod to my GBC soon.

• excitingburp@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I started with a Hakko, $120. It blows my mind how much better a $25 soldering iron (Pinecil V2) is. Both only have 2 buttons, but the Hakko does a terrible job with them. The Hakko also takes significantly longer to heat, which resulted in me running it really hot when I first started out.

• BitterSweetOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I’m never going to be doing much beyond console modding and I travel a bit so I went Pinecil.

I saw Hakko as a great option, was just a bit much for my use case.

• messem10@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

If you’re going to be doing any amount of soldering, I’d highly suggest the Hakko FX888D. You want to use a good iron, otherwise you’ll get poor results and/or be more likely to hurt yourself. (Hitting one’s thumb with a hot soldering iron is not fun.)

• BartsBigBugBag@lemmy.tf
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I have the FM-203, and I believe it uses the same tips as the 888D for the standard pencil, right? If so, I can vouch that it’s a good system. I bought about 10 high end tips with it when I bought it 6 or 7 years ago, and I’ve only ever had to replace one. It pushes enough heat for everything I’ve tried, even HDMI port ground pin desoldering when combined with a low melt solder.

I also use the Metcal MX-500P, and other than a quick and easy RMA process a couple years into owning it, it’s even better than the Hakko for smaller soldering, because the induction heating ensures solid heating all the way to the tip. It’s not really necessary for most hobby soldering, but very worth it if you do a lot of microsoldering.

• hedders@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I use a TS100 USB-powered iron. It’s fine for the relatively light soldering jobs I generally do.

• Karubi1234@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I changed my very expensive Weller to a Pinecil V1 some 1,5 years ago and it has made much better solderer than the past decades before it. But it almost requires the silicon cable to make that cable invisible. For a year I used Lenovo usb-c charger and it is way too stiff to let you forget that cable exists.

I also recommend to buy a proper hot blower with very small nozzle. They’re expensive nowadays (around 100 USD I guess), but everytime you need to use it, it saves your mental health as a whole.

• TomFrost@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I have a lot of hours into this one and I love it. The cord is very light and doesn’t weigh the iron down, digital is great, nice heavy power box that’s not going to slide around on you, good selection of tips, relatively accurate temperature w/ auto-calibration, holder and brass sponge with flux pad is a nice cherry on top too. You have to add $100 to the price to find its equal.

YIHUA 939D+ Digital Soldering Station, 75W Equivalent with Precision Heat Control (392°F to 896°F) and Built-in Transformer. ESD Safe, Lead Free with °C/°F display (Black) https://a.co/d/dFjveUk

• pingwax@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I looked pretty hard at a rechargeable pen style soldering iron, but was convinced by more experienced users and reviewers to get a Hakko. I got the Hakko FX888D. The colors make it look like a toy; believe me, it is not. It’s wild how fast it changes temperature, both hotter and cooler: it cools off almost as fast as it heats, which is pretty fantastic. Tons of options for replacing the tip, too. I’m not great at soldering and it has really made me more successful than I have a right to be. Very pleased.

• Death_Equity@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Some of this is based on my experience with the TS80P specifically, I don’t know if everything holds true for other ones.

Pros: You can adjust the temp. They heat up in seconds. You can swap the tips on some models without waiting for it to cool down fully. You can power them with a battery pack for when an outlet is too far away or unavailable. There is a boost function button that allows you to have a second higher temp(has to be set beforehand) that you can jump to if needed. So you can set the default at 250c and then have 350c as the boost.

Cons: You need the right A/C adapter or battery bank that can output 12v@3amp and some USB cables do not play nice with them. Some of the PD/QC adapters can only do 9v and 15v, no 12v. You can use it at 9v, but the temperature will be too low to use anything but low temp solder.

IronOS refines everything and allows for more settings to be tweaked so you can set up the iron to suit your needs better.

• Hazdaz@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Interesting. I’ve been using the same cheapo iron for years and years now but if I ever need to replace it, I’d probably at least consider one of these. Quick search on Amazon shows them for like $85. So not cheap, but not bonkers either.

• BartsBigBugBag@lemmy.tf
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I use the Metcal MX-500P and the Hakko FM-203 system, but they’re both probably overkill if you’re just doing console modding occasionally.

• Godort@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I use a Weller WES51.

It’s built like a tank and was a full $100 cheaper than the Hakko equivalent.

• xyzzy@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I have a Weller digital 70W model (WE1010NA). I’ve been happy with it; it heats up quickly and accurately and it doesn’t look like it’s made by Fisher-Price 😛

• Refurbished Refurbisher@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I use the Yihua 8786D-I. Combo iron and heat gun. Works fantastically. Been using it for a few years at this point.

Yihua makes clones of Hakko products.

There’s also the Pinecil, which I hear is good.

• BitterSweetOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Thanks for all the comments! I may have already chosen one, but keep posting!

I bet Imm not the only one getting into console modding here looking for a soldering iron to buy.

• LordXenu@artemis.camp
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Currently using a Hakko 936 at work. Thing is a workhorse but shows its age nowadays when it comes to digital controls.