and you should provide me with a good one to read! I’ve always thought it was weird a conductor was viewed as in ‘charge’ of people who are all using sheet music but I also know that a central coordinator that tells everyone to start and shit is probably important

how much influence does a conductor have? how do they interact with the other artists artistically and economically? i would love to peer into this a little bit

• wtypstanaccount04 [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    29 days ago

Conductors are very useful, they function as a metronome, as an audio engineer, and as someone to queue people in. Many pieces do not have a drummer, so knowing when to come in is very important. A good conductor will practice with an orchestra for weeks or months before a piece is ready for performance. A conductor also adds a human element, they can slow down a piece or speed it up, increase the volume or lower it, and the spot where they stand offers a great place for knowing how loud each instrument section should be (this is critical in a full orchestra with wind instruments and string instruments, trumpets are much louder than cellos for example). Some conductors are very strict, and some conductors could step away and the orchestra would play itself. The best conductors are somewhere in the middle.

If you find this at all interesting I would encourage you to find a way to watch an orchestra rehearse, as watching rehearsal is a great way to understand how a conductor interacts with an orchestra. It’s probably very easy if you have kids, just go watch them play in school. It’s a bit harder if you don’t have kids though, as options for adults are much more scarce, but sometimes there are bands in neighborhoods you can go find.

Source: Years of band practice in school, sometimes with a full orchestra.