I was gonna buy a pinephone, but i want to know if this is really the best choice. I’m a real fan of the hardware switches. Any recommendations?

• Matt@lemdro.id
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 days ago

It is fun to play with, but it is not suitable to use as a primary phone. It has poor battery life and is very slow.

• urheberOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 days ago

thanks, any idea what to buy instead? I’m okay with buying an android, and just flashing myself.

• urheberOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          23 days ago

I was trying to avoid google, but whatever, its not that expensive on eBay.

Thanks!

• Vik@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            22 days ago

Check in again around the Holiday season. Chances are that Google will sell at or close to a loss.

• urheberOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              22 days ago

i doubt theyll go below 100€, plus on eBay my money doesnt go to Google, very happy.

• Vik@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                21 days ago

I’m curious about the 100 euro figure. Is that the sum of component costs?

• urheberOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  20 days ago

i dont know, thats just ideally the highest i wanna pay for a mobile phone.

• fossphi@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        22 days ago

The Librem phone from Purism is like Pinephone, but a bit more cohesive and with better specs. Also more expensive, but if you’re considering a Linux phone, then Librem might be a better choice

• jeffreyosborne@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        19 days ago

A pixel phone or a fairphone 4. The pixel 3a has alot of support but is old, and the fairphone 4 has alot of support and is newer. Depends on your preference

• mikimiki@leminal.space
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 days ago

do you think the pro is more suitable at least computing power wise? like could it run matrix clients / simplex?

• ambitiousslab@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

I have a PinePhone Pro, and it runs nheko very well. Fractal is a little slower, but still usable. Not sure about Simplex I’m afraid.

• hendrik@palaver.p3x.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    22 days ago

My advise is not to buy one. It’s a nice idea. But even with the tech enthusiasts and Linux nerds (like me)… A lot of them will tell you it spends most of it’s existence in your drawer of unfinished projects.

It’s slow, has quite some annoyances and quirks. And by now the chipset that was already old on release, is ancient. It’s generally unusable in every-day situations. And the hardware limits what kind of Linux use you’ll get out of it. The newer pro version makes it better, but not substancially. And it’ll add it’s own quirks in return.

And the software (Linux) doesn’t work great either. Things have settled down and I don’t expect substancial change by now. Yet, you’ll have issues with the touchscreen keyboard. Copy-pasting things. Lots of things aren’t adapted for mobile. Any browser is sluggish and struggles with playing videos.

I’ve bought the hardware keyboard, too. And I can’t recommend that either. It’s just not a great product. It’s not great to type on it and it has more quirks. And it constantly drains the battery for me and I expect it to someday discharge the battery to a point where it’ll destroy it. I’ve tried several things and couldn’t fix that.

You might be better off buying a regular phone that is supported by postmarketOS. But I don’t have any experience with that. And I’m not aware of any good one that I’d recommend at the moment.

• urheberOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      22 days ago

oh wow, that’s sad :( Thanks for the reply, its weird that in 2024 phones are still so -boring and useless.

• hendrik@palaver.p3x.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

I’d love to see some Linux phone again. For me, propably something like the Nokia N950. But I’m fine without a keyboard, too.

Designing a phone from the grounds up, then also getting into the business of manufacturing for the first time… And having to adapt a whole operating system since it wasn’t optimized for mobile is just a lot of things at the same time. I’m really impressed by what Pine64 and the community were able to pull off. But it’s more a prototype.

I think what we’d need is some modern, normal and attractive phone that is produced by some established (or clever) manufacturer, went through extensive testing and mass production. It’d need to be affordable to attract developers. Have a decent and modern chipset and gain some good mainline Linux support. That always proved to be a bit difficult in the ARM ecosystem. And we’d still need to then proceed and change a lot of things about Linux. As of now it just doesn’t have any clever mechanisms to do something like a connected standby… i.e. save power while also listening for instant messenger messages. And ideally you’d like it to receive messages while in your pocket and not just SMS and calls. And we’d have to change a few more desktop apps to be responsive. All of that is quite some work that hasn’t been tackled yet.

I’m currently using GrapheneOS for my daily life. Maybe someday I’ll find some phone that has all the columns green with the components and features that are supported by a Linux kernel.

• ambitiousslab@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    22 days ago

If you can afford it, I think the Librem 5 is the best linux-first phone at the moment. Both it and the PinePhone Pro are roughly as fast as each other, but the Librem 5 has a much more premium feel, and the hardware kill switches are much more accessible, if you’re into that kind of thing.

Back in the day, when the Librem 5 was $1000+, it was a no-brainer for the PinePhone Pro, but I feel it is much more reasonable to recommend the Librem 5 now.

You can make it work as a daily driver, but I wouldn’t want to depend on it for life and death situations. Calling generally doesn’t work very well - either one side can’t hear the other, or the audio quality is too quiet, or not very good. It’s probably possible to fix if you know what you’re doing, but I don’t know what I’m doing :)

I carry around a dumbphone and a SIM removal tool, so that I can call someone if I really need to. If you’re happy to do that, I feel it gives you the best of both worlds.

Otherwise, one alternative is to be an Android-first device, that has good support in PostmarketOS, e.g. the Oneplus 6/6T. Mobile Linux has had such an impact on these devices that the price of these on eBay has gone up in some areas over time :D

Good luck!

• aasatru@kbin.earth
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

Would love more input from Librem 5 owners about this. It seems opinions are, at best, a mixed bag.

• @ambitiousslab It’s probably PipeWire. AFAIK nobody adjusted the audio pipeline to work there with echo cancellation and noise reduction yet. I wouldn’t consider it suitable for phone use until that happens. It’s not rocket science, PipeWire is actually more flexible than PulseAudio for this kind of stuff, but… someone has to do it. Switching back to PulseAudio and reproducing the config from PureOS (including ALSA UCM profiles) would likely give you much better experience right now.

• ambitiousslab@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              22 days ago

Thanks for explaining some of the history, it makes some sense and gives me some things to try. Thanks for all the work you’ve done on the mobile stack as well. It’s made my life a lot better. And maybe one day I’ll be able to ditch the backup nokia too :)

• Joe Bidet@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    13 days ago

Sorry if i am late to that party, but i have been daily-driving a pinephone for 4+ years now. 1/ It’s not for the faint of heart. it is work. serious admin work. 2/ i chose a hard line of PostMarketOS edge (equiv of debian “unstable” updated continuously) and sxmo (a lovely, experimental interface, fully hackable, lightweight etc.) 3/ most of the shortcomings described by people who tried it only or expected a lot from it are related to comparing it to android or ios. it’s a mistake i think. it should be treated as its own thing, with no expectations, and most of the shortcomings can be fixed by adaptation and custom work… for me: most tasks via CLI (mail, matrix, mastodon, etc.) and lightweight browser, combined with lightweight interface (sxmo) considerably extend battery life. in suspend i get 48h (which is more than most android phones i used before) and with moderat use it lasts way over 24h for me.

I would totally recommend it IF you value computing freedom, autonomy and taking back control of your communication infrastructure and data more than an ideal of “comfort” or standardized streamlined processes modeled after the ones that put everyone in the hands of big US corporations (aka “user-friendly” lol)

Also that feeling that whatever tiny bit you may invent, fix or hack for yourself, can be put back into a wild community of avid trailblazing hackers is invaluable. Yes it’s all work, but it’s work for you and other people who value freedom. not work for Google and such…

• urheberOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 days ago

wow! thats very long battery life, my phone right now only lasts for 8 hours, with no to moderate use.
      I’m betting on 2 phones on eBay right now, and if I don’t get either, I’ll get a pine phone.

Thank you so much!

• quixote@mastodon.nz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 days ago

@JoeBidet @urheber I’m one of the “tried Pinephone” people. Not nearly adept enough to do all the CLI work you did. I can edit config files if someone tells me what to type in 😆.

I use a laptop for the fun stuff. A phone to me is for texts and calls. I gave up on the Pinephone because of problems with that. Big one: not waking from sleep to ring. I get about 2 calls a month, but they’re the sort I can’t miss. After about the 3rd miss, I had to give up. Yes, I’d try again after updates 😖

• quixote@mastodon.nz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          13 days ago

@JoeBidet I settled on mobian. I think I tried pmOS (this was back in '21? '20??) and a couple of thers I don’t remember. I do remember ssh-ing for something else, never edited crontab though. Sounds interesting! I’ll have a look at that. Still have the phone. Be great if I could make it useful 😆